Please Evaluate my profile and advise

gangadhar

Please suggest me some Universities that I can apply for Computer Science

GRE : Q 760 V 660 Total 1420

TOEFL: Yet to take

Under grad GPA : 71% ( Distinction) "A" grade if converted according to WES

JNTUK University India

2010 passout

Projects: Tow projects, both are on the same problem domain( Artificial Intelligence ).

Publications: one paper in an International journal

Conferences: One International Conference USA

One National Conference

Achievements:

3rd place in a National Level Software project competition at NIT

Best research paper from GITAM University

Achiever of QIS Coll given by JNTU

Sports: All India Inter University Participant from JNTUuniversity for 100 Meters

Gold in National Youth sports fest.

A silver and a Bronze in JNTU intercollegiate

Admitted into B-tech in Sports Quota.

Research Interest:

I love to do PHD in Artificial Intelligence. ( If I can get). Or MS in some good univ with TA or RA in computer science.

I dont know what are my chances for PHD. But I am sure I can make long term commitment if I can get in to good research environment.

On the GRE I gave four University names( Just gave I dont know my chances in them)

1) Carnegie Mellon University

2) University of Texas Austin

3) University of Washington

4) Georgia Institute of Technology

I think that you have a good shot at getting into a PhD program.

I am interested in the actual journal and conference publications that you have. By just saying "international conference" that can mean anything. What the professors will look at is your authorship role (first or second author) and what journal/conference it is in. If you're a good fit, and that paper is in a good conference, then you'll be fine.

Your GRE score is good enough, but US departments don't really care.

If you reply with your conferences and authorship roles then I can give you a much better estimate... maybe recruit you myself :)

Good luck!

@weninger

Thank you for your reply. Here I am giving the details....

1) International Conference on Data Mining, DMIN 2009, July 13-16, 2009, Las Vegas, USA

Title: Advanced Implementation Techniques for Scientific Data Warehouses. I am the First Author.

2) National Conference on Emerging Trends and Applications in Computer Science, 9-10 April 2010, Shillong, India.

Title: Using of Neural Networks for classification of Articulation Position.I am the main Author.

The conference coordinator included the samepaper for publishing in International Journal of Logistics and Supply-chain Management.

3) Projects: I have completed two projects in my Under Grad, First project (SprintTech 1.0 ) and second project (SprintTech 2.0) meet different tasks in development of SprintTech, which is an intelligent software, designed to handle and manipulate the training data of Athletes. This system uses Neural Networks to accomplish all the requirements of the athletic sprints training. The system understands the Athlete characteristics by estimating his current fitness levels, and plans the training program for a specific athlete by the characteristics and fitness levels which are represented by specific values derived from mathematical equations which are standard World class Training Principles. It then generates the training program for everyday workout for the athlete and monitors the training by taking feedback for each workout performed. It then modifies the Plan using feedback. It also records the SeasonTraining data and uses it for next season planning. ( I used SprintTech ingenerating my training data).

My Role: I am the project leader of a team with 4 members.

4) SprintTech got 3rd place in National level Software competition at National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur, 2010.

5) Alacrity 2009, a national level conference for Undergraduates by GITAM University , India. I got first place for the paper "Artificial Intelligence prospective in Nano robotics" I am the first author.

I think that you have a good shot at getting into a PhD program.

I am interested in the actual journal and conference publications that you have. By just saying "international conference" that can mean anything. What the professors will look at is your authorship role (first or second author) and what journal/conference it is in. If you're a good fit, and that paper is in a good conference, then you'll be fine.

Your GRE score is good enough, but US departments don't really care.

If you reply with your conferences and authorship roles then I can give you a much better estimate... maybe recruit you myself :)

Good luck!

DMIN is apart of WORLDCOMP, which, iirc, is a "fake conference". I just checked their website, and you didn't even show to give the talk? Furthermore, there has already been a paper published under that title: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.1.3604

Unfortunately, I don't think your two publications count--in fact, they may count slightly against you. I can't even *find* these papers, and I was trying; don't expect an admissions committee to try harder.

DMIN is apart of WORLDCOMP, which, iirc, is a "fake conference". I just checked their website, and you didn't even show to give the talk? Furthermore, there has already been a paper published under that title: http://citeseerx.ist...i=10.1.1.1.3604

Unfortunately, I don't think your two publications count--in fact, they may count slightly against you. I can't even *find* these papers, and I was trying; don't expect an admissions committee to try harder.

You have just gave me a good view on WORLDCOMP. I am just learning about these all things, dont consider me in wrong ways.. I used a general theme name to cover every aspect of the paper, but I was dumb. I didnt know that I have to check weather other papers were published on the same title. The reviewers ( may be fake) of the DMIN gave good feedbacks,but I know my paper is not that good.

The other two conferences are local, they dont keep the proceedings online.

Then I am now clean with no publications or Papers.

Can you give feedback on my projects I stated.. Those are mostly my sole diligent work for 2 years..

I can provide any specifics if you need...

Just so that you have something to compare with: I'm in Computer Vision, which is sort of AI and I have 1 paper each in ICCV and CVPR, which are the 2 top conferences in my field. Even though I have well above average publication record, I didn't get accepted to all the top 10 universities. This is to serve as a reminder that there are no guarantees when it comes to graduate school application, even when you have a good profile. If I were to be honest, your profile is good but pretty average for top 10 universities. There will be many students that will have similar credential as you. So, my advice is to apply to a wider range of schools. Just remember that there are many institutions outside the top 10 who also conduct excellent research.

Just so that you have something to compare with: I'm in Computer Vision, which is sort of AI and I have 1 paper each in ICCV and CVPR, which are the 2 top conferences in my field. Even though I have well above average publication record, I didn't get accepted to all the top 10 universities. This is to serve as a reminder that there are no guarantees when it comes to graduate school application, even when you have a good profile. If I were to be honest, your profile is good but pretty average for top 10 universities. There will be many students that will have similar credential as you. So, my advice is to apply to a wider range of schools. Just remember that there are many institutions outside the top 10 who also conduct excellent research.

I will apply for a wider range of schools. 2 from top 20 and 2 from top 20-50 and 1 to 2 good colleges from next to top 50

But which rankings do I have to follow?? US News rankings for Computer Science?

if any other please specify..

I am also planning to talk to professors before applying, will it be feasible? I mean can it be productive in sorting schools?

• 1 year later...

My advice is to try for an MS at a good university. You should also check out places in Canada and the UK for an MS. Unfortunately, you'll likely have to pay as a funded MS is not that common.

Another possibility is to go for an MS at one of the IITs (IIT Kanpur and Bombay are the best for CS) and then for a PhD in the US but admission into an IIT is going to be tough.

Edited by jjsakurai

Unfortunately, a lot of good international students suffer due to lack of LORs from known researchers. My advice would be to apply to a bunch of MS programs as well. Do not look merely at rankings. There are a lot of great profs in lesser known schools.

• 1 year later...

I read the following news at many places:

Hamid Arabnia has recently started 2014 International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI'14) http://www.americancse.org to deceive researchers further. CSCI'14 is started under the title of “American Council on Science and Education” which is a dummy corporation (does not exist anywhere in the world). Hamid Arabnia buried his name in the list of names of other innocent steering and program committee members of CSCI’14 to avoid any special attention. See https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS531US531&q=%22csci+and+worldcomp%22