Music Programs?

TiredMusicMajor

Composition/multimedia here! I'm... stressed. Applied to Brown, Princeton, University of Virginia, and University of Oregon, no word from anyone yet. I saw on the results page that someone was accepted to Brown, and someone else was rejected, but I'm still in limbo. 

Usually Princeton sends out acceptances around now, so hopefully we'll hear something soon. 

1 hour ago, Chaichristine said:

Hi all, I wanted to see how everyone is doing. I’ve officially heard from all of the musicology programs. Relief, but so much stress!

I've hear from most. Slew of rejections, 1 acceptance I'm really excited about. A few pending, but the results likely will not change where I enroll.

2 hours ago, Chaichristine said:

Hi all, I wanted to see how everyone is doing. I’ve officially heard from all of the musicology programs. Relief, but so much stress!

I applied to five programs for theory, accepted at two and rejected at three. Rejections are disappointing but I'm ultimately happy with where things landed--I got into a program that's a good fit with decent funding. I'm still waiting to hear about funding from one of the schools that accepted me, so there may still be some haggling over money, but I've decided with 99% certainty where I want to go.

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting, in the negotiation stage, or planning an imminent move.

8 minutes ago, MusHist11 said:

Hello! This post is just out of pure anxiety, but has anyone heard anything from Cornell's PhD Music and Sound Studies program? 

I saw someone posted a waitlist on the results page, but that's all I've seen.

Edited by TiredMusicMajor

4 hours ago, vivaldi1206 said:

I’m stressed. Two rejections, one waitlist at a school I’m really enthusiastic about and the potential advisor really wants me to be at, and still waiting on Berkeley for musicology. 

I am stressed too. Waitlisted as well at one school and rejected by others. I’m not sure how many people were accepted to the school I’m waitlisted at, but trying to have hope. ???

13 hours ago, music-2023 said:

I'm a musicology applicant but an update if it is helpful to anyone: I applied to five schools, two rejections thus far (Harvard, Toronto), and one acceptance. Still waiting on the other two schools (Cornell, McGill). 

Amazing!!! Fingers crossed on your two other schools. Six applications, four for musicology. Two rejections, One waitlist, and one accepted but waitlist for funding. We’ve got this! 

On 3/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, vivaldi1206 said:

still seems like radio silence from Berkeley for musicology and haven't seen anything posted either... Anyone anyone? 

Radio silence on my end too. Ethnomusicology has two admits showing on here, but I'm really not too sure. Biting my nails ToT

• 3 weeks later...

I'm honestly alarmed that it's March 24 and UC Berkeley as nothing for musicology or theory. I just saw that UC Santa Barbara post that they aren't accepting any music people this year at all. I am wondering if with the recent unionization that they just can't come up with funding? (not that unionization is a problem), any thoughts anyone?

4 hours ago, vivaldi1206 said:

I'm honestly alarmed that it's March 24 and UC Berkeley as nothing for musicology or theory. I just saw that UC Santa Barbara post that they aren't accepting any music people this year at all. I am wondering if with the recent unionization that they just can't come up with funding? (not that unionization is a problem), any thoughts anyone?

I am having a similar issue with a UCLA for another degree (one of the programs I applied to that wasn’t musicology). Really starting to stress out. 😅😅😅😅

On 3/24/2023 at 4:58 PM, vivaldi1206 said:

I just saw that UC Santa Barbara post that they aren't accepting any music people this year at all

UCSB's email said they aren't accepting anyone because they are upgrading and retrofitting the buildings. Not sure how true that is, but it was weird they decided that after significantly extending the app deadline. To be fair, they did also say they'll be refunding application fees and some travel fees for those that already did an in-person audition. 

As far as Berkley, I think there was someone that has heard back from ethno. Might just be that whoever has been accepted isn't on grad cafe?

Edited by TiredMusicMajor