Low GPA/Good GPA, Wagner?

MPAorBust

Greetings All,

I'll cut to the chase I want to go into Non Profit Management and am really attracted to the MPA program at Wagner. I am also looking in UGA's MPA program as well. I ultimately want to start my own non profit arts and technology center for teens. My profile is as follows

Bachelors GPA: Overall 2.74, Major GPA 3.1 (Psychology Degree from top HBCU)

I didn't find out I wasn't an auditory learner until deep into my collegiate career after some testing from the wellness center on campus. Also found out I have a math deficiency.

Grades showed improvement once I found out how I best retain information.

Associate Degree GPA : 3.50 (AA in Audio Production from an Art Institute directly after my BA)

This is a result of studying something I was very interested in and after understanding how to better retain information. hopefully this will be considered a sign of my ability to perform academically.

I have been out of school for 2 years and have worked at a restaurant since I graduated as I was unable to secure anything in education or media as I had planned. As I have been searching for careers I have been really brainstorming about what I want to ultimately and decided on the Nonprofit about 6 months ago. I've been researching schools and the field ever since.

During my collegiate career:

As a freshmen I co-founded an organization on campus which is still doing very well (8 years later)

I coached a freshmen dorm step team from 2003-2009 (new team every year) All teams are 1st place winners except one team came in 2nd

I mentored high school students my sophomore-senior year

Also taught a poetry class to middle school students sophomore and junior year

Haven't taken the GRE yet but I'm strong in verbal

I've always wanted to go into some sort of education but couldn't figure out in what way. I know for sure this is what I want to do career-wise but don't know if my credentials + a decent GRE score is good enough.

I appreciate your feedback on my credentials, what steps I can take to polish my app, and what GRE score, if any, can help my chances.

Greetings All,

I'll cut to the chase I want to go into Non Profit Management and am really attracted to the MPA program at Wagner. I am also looking in UGA's MPA program as well. I ultimately want to start my own non profit arts and technology center for teens. My profile is as follows

Bachelors GPA: Overall 2.74, Major GPA 3.1 (Psychology Degree from top HBCU)

I didn't find out I wasn't an auditory learner until deep into my collegiate career after some testing from the wellness center on campus. Also found out I have a math deficiency.

Grades showed improvement once I found out how I best retain information.

Associate Degree GPA : 3.50 (AA in Audio Production from an Art Institute directly after my BA)

This is a result of studying something I was very interested in and after understanding how to better retain information. hopefully this will be considered a sign of my ability to perform academically.

I have been out of school for 2 years and have worked at a restaurant since I graduated as I was unable to secure anything in education or media as I had planned. As I have been searching for careers I have been really brainstorming about what I want to ultimately and decided on the Nonprofit about 6 months ago. I've been researching schools and the field ever since.

During my collegiate career:

As a freshmen I co-founded an organization on campus which is still doing very well (8 years later)

I coached a freshmen dorm step team from 2003-2009 (new team every year) All teams are 1st place winners except one team came in 2nd

I mentored high school students my sophomore-senior year

Also taught a poetry class to middle school students sophomore and junior year

Haven't taken the GRE yet but I'm strong in verbal

I've always wanted to go into some sort of education but couldn't figure out in what way. I know for sure this is what I want to do career-wise but don't know if my credentials + a decent GRE score is good enough.

I appreciate your feedback on my credentials, what steps I can take to polish my app, and what GRE score, if any, can help my chances.

Your GPA is below par. However, this could be offset by a stellar SOP (that showcases your passion). You may even want to explain how you overcame challenges you faced in college. The improvements in your grades later on could be used bolster those claims. In addition, try to get recs that back your academic potential.