GPA calculation

Hello all,

Ok first of all, I'm not sure that I'm posting this in the right forum so apologies if I'm not and feel free to redirect me!

So, basically I'm from the UK and am trying to work out my GPA to put on my applications. I've been on a whole load of websites, none overly helpful, to try and figure out how to convert UK grades to a US GPA. In my undergrad I got a 2:1 (but was literally a fraction of a mark off a first) and what I've read suggests this is an A- (possibly around 3.6 - 3.8, but I'm not sure). Is this correct? Also, do I just convert my final degree classification and use that, or do I have to go through and work out all my grades, weight the credits etc? My uni uses the Scottish 20 point scale (16.5 for a first, 13.5 for a 2:1 etc. I scored a final grade of 16.35). If anyone knows how to convert this or knows of any websites that are actually reliable that would be fantastic!

Thanks very much!

As a UK undergrad student I've had the same issues with this. Nearly everywhere I am applying to suggests to leave it blank so this is probably a good idea.

One American uni is making me pay Worldwide Education Services to 'convert' the grade for an extortionate fee. You can do an 'unofficial' check with them here (https://www.wes.org/calculator/login.asp) which normally costs $5 but I found a free code which takes away the charge (FB638dra452). I think that was the one. If not, google it.

WES undervalued my grade, though, IMO, as I got 77% (fairly reasonable first) and it converted it to 3.7....

Yes, most schools recommend that you leave the GPA spot blank or that you put your score on the scale you got, so 77 out of 100 for example. Do not try to do the conversion yourself, the schools will make the evaluation based on your transcripts. Some schools request that you use WES, but as db2290 says they charge too much and their service is not exactly 100% accurate.

• 4 weeks later...

Contact the graduate admissions departments at each school to see how they want it handled (e.g., leave it blank, put the score in your home institution's scale, convert it yourself). When I applied to a US university, they wanted me to convert my own GPA but had no set scale so they suggested that I Google GPA conversions and simply add a document explaining the conversion systems that I used.

• 1 month later...

I've had trouble with this too. Our grades will look pretty awful to Americans but people simply very rarely get 20/20. I studied abroad in the US for a semester and generally got A's and A-'s while at home I'm generally borderline 2.1:1.1. (which in a straight conversion would look more like a 3.0!)

Ok, so first of all, definitely don't use a service that makes you pay for the pleasure of having your grade converted.

Second, RLemkin, you're doing the calculation wrong. I've never, ever ever ever seen a chart that gives a borderline 2:1 as a 3.0.

For the Scottish 20-point system, here's a conversion chart from St Andrews: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Grade%20Conversion%20United%20States.pdf . As you can see, a 2.1 that's just barely not a first would be a 3.7, which is accurate. As for the British marking system, you're looking at (very roughly):

74+ 4.0

70-73 3.8

67-69 3.7

65-67 3.5

63-65 3.3

60-62 3.0

55-59 2.7

50-54 2.4

And by the way, as I've told a bunch of people: no matter where you're applying, you are not the first using your grading system to do so. They've seen Scottish, British, Ugandan, North Korean, whatever applicants before, and they'll understand the system you use. Follow the directions on the application to the best of your ability and let them do their job by interpreting the scores themselves.