Updating Writing Samples?

GradStudent987

Hello all,

I just recently discovered that several programs use application portals that allow you to delete old uploads and replace them. These include, at least, Rutgers, Yale, Florida State, UW Madison, Purdue, and MIT.

I used one of two different writing samples for every application, depending on length requirements and faculty interests. I have since revised these papers for independent reasons. Should I delete the old drafts and post the updated ones? Or will this likely make committee members angry?

On 2/2/2023 at 11:04 PM, GradStudent987 said:

Hello all,

I just recently discovered that several programs use application portals that allow you to delete old uploads and replace them. These include, at least, Rutgers, Yale, Florida State, UW Madison, Purdue, and MIT.

I used one of two different writing samples for every application, depending on length requirements and faculty interests. I have since revised these papers for independent reasons. Should I delete the old drafts and post the updated ones? Or will this likely make committee members angry?

What I've seen (and this may depend on the application) is that some materials can be replaced post-submission, and some can't. Core components like SOPs and writing samples appear to be in that first group, which makes sense if it's possible they're being actively read soon after submission. Unofficial test scores, transcripts, CVs/pub lists seem to be in the second group. I have a feeling that even if you were allowed by the app to update a writing sample post-submission (and definitely post-deadline), it wouldn't be read -- so the committee members wouldn't be angry because they wouldn't see it. (But idk honestly. Just how I imagine they'd set it up.)