Graphic Design Postgraduate options

yoon395

I can't seem to figure out what the best course of action is and I'm looking for input wherever I can find it.

Background:

I recently graduated with a BLA (Bachelor of Landscape Architecture) but realized that my real passion was in the arts. I've been doing graphic design 'on the side' and as a hobby for many years and I'm currently interning at a design firm. Reaching further back, I was involved in the fine arts (particularly drawing/painting) from early childhood and all through high school (until I chose to pursue Landscape Architecture in college). I'm looking into graphic design programs for students in my situation but I'm having a hard time figuring out what my best options are.

These are the impressions I gained through asking around and internet research:

1) MFA programs: They seem to be very theory oriented and more for those who want to go into teaching (since it is a terminal degree). Also many MFA programs may be difficult to apply for with my limited portfolio and formal training.

2) BFA: A second BFA seems pointless and having to endure ANOTHER 4 years (especially the foundational courses) is not a pleasing prospect.

3) I recently heard about portfolio schools (Miami Ad school, Creative Circus, Portfolio Center) which seem interesting but seem strongly oriented towards advertising (or this is the impression I got). I don't necessarily want to be confined to advertising-type work, but on the other end of the spectrum I'm not really interested in the esoteric design theory that MFA programs may focus on.

4) I suppose there may be some certificate programs around but haven't really looked into them too much.

Any input is helpful! If this isn't the right place to ask the question I'd appreciate any other forum/message board referrals.

• 2 weeks later...

hey! I'm on the same boat, except my bachelor's was in biology. I'd posted awhile ago and got a response or two, which you could read here:

I'm leaning more towards an MFA, the ones that are 3 year or has a post-bacc year first.

Actually I'm pretty much set on going to Portfolio Center (Atlanta, GA). I've tried to scour the internet for information and can't really find anything but praise for the program. This is easily my first option because it seems more professionally oriented than the MFA programs (versus academically oriented), and can cater to someone like me from a non fine-arts / graphic design undergraduate. At the same time it's not just a technical school where you might learn the software, but actually has a strong design program (which distinguishes it from the other Ad Schools).

hey! I'm on the same boat, except my bachelor's was in biology. I'd posted awhile ago and got a response or two, which you could read here:

I'm leaning more towards an MFA, the ones that are 3 year or has a post-bacc year first.