MFA Painting 2011

Painter231

Hey! I'm applying for MFA Painting for Fall 2011. My first year applying but have been looking into schools since undergrad. I graduated with my BFA in Painting 2006. I'm applying to Yale, Columbia, SMFA, and Syracuse. I have been thinking of possibly applying to another school... I looked at Hunter but they have separate categories when applying....and my work is mixed media drawing/painting.... So I don't know if I would submit to "Drawing" or "Painting". All the other schools are Studio Art or Drawing/Painting combined.

Hey! I'm applying for MFA Painting for Fall 2011. My first year applying but have been looking into schools since undergrad. I graduated with my BFA in Painting 2006. I'm applying to Yale, Columbia, SMFA, and Syracuse. I have been thinking of possibly applying to another school... I looked at Hunter but they have separate categories when applying....and my work is mixed media drawing/painting.... So I don't know if I would submit to "Drawing" or "Painting". All the other schools are Studio Art or Drawing/Painting combined.

Look again--Hunter has an MFA in Combined Media

Look again--Hunter has an MFA in Combined Media

Actually, just peeked... And Combined Media is for Installation and Video NOT Mixed Media or Collage. My work combines drawing and painting. It doesn't quite fit in just drawing or painting. And isn't very colorful. SO I'm not sure if I would submit for "Painting" or "Drawing". It's an entire series for my portfolio - but I'd say half would fall more into Painting and the other half more into Drawing.

I'm applying for "Painting" programs at other schools but they are either Painting/Drawing or Painting/Studio Art.

I graduated this spring with a BFA from a state university and am wavering between applying to a few schools or just waiting until next year. I feel that I could really benefit from more time working independently as an artist before continuing school, however, my husband is applying for MFA programs and I am starting to feel left behind. I love academia -- the challenges and support system that it provides.

I am currently working in a studio that I share with another artist and I have lots of ideas I want to work out. I think I will keep painting, keep thinking, and then decide if I will apply in about 2 months! Maybe I will have to ask for LOR ahead of time -- now! -- so that I am prepared just in case.

Is anyone else wanting it both ways -- more time and independence, as well as going back to school?

• 5 weeks later...

I graduated with my BFA in May 2010, and it's my first year applying! So far I have decided to for sure apply to SVA, Rutgers, Tyler, and UT Austin. I want to apply to at least 8 schools, so I am trying to narrow it down within the next week or so. Other schools I am looking at are Delaware, Columbia, SUNY Purchase, SUNY New Paltz (has anyone heard much about this one?), Parsons, Queens college, Hunter, VCU (although I would like to leave VA), Bard, and some other places.

Actually, just peeked... And Combined Media is for Installation and Video NOT Mixed Media or Collage. My work combines drawing and painting. It doesn't quite fit in just drawing or painting. And isn't very colorful. SO I'm not sure if I would submit for "Painting" or "Drawing". It's an entire series for my portfolio - but I'd say half would fall more into Painting and the other half more into Drawing.

I'm applying for "Painting" programs at other schools but they are either Painting/Drawing or Painting/Studio Art.

I thought it was ok to apply for painting, but submit some drawings as well if they are relevant to the paintings. I had been planning on doing that...I have some charcoal and ink wash works that I wanted to include with my paintings, but maybe I'm wrong.

I would definitely recommend that you apply to MICA's Mount Royal School of Art, check out the link here:

Mount Royal School of Art

I have the same conflict w/ Hunter about having to pick b/w the Painting and the Printmaking/Drawing/Works on Paper. In many schools, these 2 are very integrated. My work borders on both as well but I guess I would pick Painting..

Did you guys notice Hunter has the most expensive app. fee ($125 + the slideroom fee)? Isn't that crazy? That's more than Columbia or Yale....

I graduated with my BFA in May 2010, and it's my first year applying! So far I have decided to for sure apply to SVA, Rutgers, Tyler, and UT Austin. I want to apply to at least 8 schools, so I am trying to narrow it down within the next week or so. Other schools I am looking at are Delaware, Columbia, SUNY Purchase, SUNY New Paltz (has anyone heard much about this one?), Parsons, Queens college, Hunter, VCU (although I would like to leave VA), Bard, and some other places.

Delaware has made a lot of moves to revamp their program in the last 5 or 6 years and I've heard they offer funding to about 70% of their students in the MFA program, if that helps you decide. I think at worst, if you get in, they knock the out-of-state tuition off of the bill.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm applying for a painting MFA fall 2011. This is my first time applying; I graduated with my BFA in May 2010. I'm looking at Otis, CalArts, UCLA, USC, and Art Center (I pretty much want to stay in LA)

Here's a question: I read in a forum somewhere that you shouldn't say in your interview that you are interested in getting an MFA so you can teach. Does anyone agree with that? Isn't that a big part of the reason a lot of people go back for MFAs? And should you also refrain from mentioning in your written material that you are interested in teaching?

This is assuming of course I get an interview :) These things are all so scary competitive! I'd much appreciate any thoughts & advice, thanks!

Hi everyone, I'm applying for a painting MFA fall 2011. This is my first time applying; I graduated with my BFA in May 2010. I'm looking at Otis, CalArts, UCLA, USC, and Art Center (I pretty much want to stay in LA)

Here's a question: I read in a forum somewhere that you shouldn't say in your interview that you are interested in getting an MFA so you can teach. Does anyone agree with that? Isn't that a big part of the reason a lot of people go back for MFAs? And should you also refrain from mentioning in your written material that you are interested in teaching?

This is assuming of course I get an interview :) These things are all so scary competitive! I'd much appreciate any thoughts & advice, thanks!

I wouldn't mention it. Everyone puts this in their statement, it becomes wasted space where you could talk more about your work. They will just look over it, or may take it as a negative. Especially don't mention it in your interview. Your interviews fly by really quick. Why you want an MFA can be the most important question they ask, teaching is not a good answer.

Unless your artwork includes teaching, then scratch all of the above.

• 11 months later...

This is assuming of course I get an interview smile.gif These things are all so scary competitive! I'd much appreciate any thoughts & advice, thanks!

Just wanted to let you know that I only applied to one MFA program and I got accepted. I also wanted to teach and I mentioned that in my essay. I'm in my second year now and am teaching color theory and got offered to teach 3-D design next semester. I think I would just be honest with the faculty on your application. Tell them your dreams, goals, and aspirations. I find they respond favorably to authenticity and honesty.

I wouldn't mention it. Everyone puts this in their statement, it becomes wasted space where you could talk more about your work. They will just look over it, or may take it as a negative. Especially don't mention it in your interview. Your interviews fly by really quick. Why you want an MFA can be the most important question they ask, teaching is not a good answer.

Unless your artwork includes teaching, then scratch all of the above.

This is assuming of course I get an interview smile.gif These things are all so scary competitive! I'd much appreciate any thoughts & advice, thanks!

Hello everyone...

I used this forum last fall when I was looking for schools to apply. I found it very helpful to connect to other MFA applicants. I am currently attending the New York Academy of Art for painting MFA. In case you haven't heard about it, I just wanted to post about the program, which is primarily figurative based. See the short video clip:

http://blip.tv/episode/5376881

Also, I am documenting my experience earning an MFA on my blog, in case anyone is interested: www.takingchancesinkansas.blogspot.com

If you have any questions about the program, I'd be happy to help. I recommend visiting the school to see the work.

Good luck everyone!

"Art is not science. Art doesn't progress. This school represents the understanding that art isn't about progress, it's about excellence." ---Glenn O'Brien (New York Academy of Art Documentary).

damn. *claps hands* I'm out.