LOR Advice (PoliSci Only)

JanuaryHymn

I am applying to several political science (comparative-Lat Am) programs and am seeking advice about from whom to obtain an LOR. So far, I have two tenured faculty in my field that I have writing a recommencation for me (one I did research with and the other I taught a freshmen seminar under). As for my third recommender I am deciding between two and was wondering whom I should choose in the cases where I'm only allowed to submit three.

On the one hand, I have an assistant professor, trained at Harvard, who is the same field roughly (Latin American comparative politics). She is a junior faculty and I have only had but two classes with her, but she has become a mentor to me and has really guided me throughout the graduate school process (and thus, knows what I want to do and who I am on a personal level).

The other is a tenured professor in the history department. I do have research experience with her that is easily transferable to what I will be doing, though the topic was not exactly related to my field. She has been really enthusiastic about my work for her and about writing me letters of recommendation for previous applications.

What do you guys think?

First, there is no harm to sending a fourth letter where you can - where you are not explicitly limited to three. Second, a letter from a prominent historian will help you if the person can speak to your research skills and preparation for grad school. If the junior faculty person is well connected and a known quantity to admissions committees, their letter will carry some weight, so you need to evaluate for yourself a sense of this. On the one hand, this is a tough choice (where you are forced to make it) - on the other, you've got 2 great options.

I am applying to several political science (comparative-Lat Am) programs and am seeking advice about from whom to obtain an LOR. So far, I have two tenured faculty in my field that I have writing a recommencation for me (one I did research with and the other I taught a freshmen seminar under). As for my third recommender I am deciding between two and was wondering whom I should choose in the cases where I'm only allowed to submit three.

On the one hand, I have an assistant professor, trained at Harvard, who is the same field roughly (Latin American comparative politics). She is a junior faculty and I have only had but two classes with her, but she has become a mentor to me and has really guided me throughout the graduate school process (and thus, knows what I want to do and who I am on a personal level).

The other is a tenured professor in the history department. I do have research experience with her that is easily transferable to what I will be doing, though the topic was not exactly related to my field. She has been really enthusiastic about my work for her and about writing me letters of recommendation for previous applications.

What do you guys think?