Hi everyone--

I'm currently working on my SOP, but I'm not sure my SOP will grab the attention of the admissions committee. Here's an outline of what I have so far:

1. Intro

Briefly explained why i decided to apply to program (I'm applying to MPP (concentration in environmental policy)/environmental studies and management programs) and touched on my career goals.

2. Talked about my past.

I didn't do much research in environmental policy as an undergrad, but did write a few papers on it. I wanted to explain and compensate my lack of research by telling about my volunteer/internship experience over the past 2 years that are related to what I want to study and how my experiences helped me visualize what I wanted in my career.

3. Graduate studies and how that will translate to my career goals

Discussed my concentration I hope to study, and ways in which I will take that knowledge and apply it to my career.

4. Why this school?

Explaining why I chose this specific program.

I'm REALLY afraid that my lack of research/education will turn off the adcomm-- which will probably set me apart from other applicants, but certainly not in a good way. My whole message is while I didn't realize that this is what I wanted to do upon graduating from undergrad, I've done everything that I can do to involve myself in this field (an internship with a city education project on natural area preservation, hosting and participating recycling events, leader in a sustainable products development committee, etc). I'm also afraid that my SOP is way too boring. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Some advice that I found very helpful is not to make excuses in your SoP. So you probably don't want to say that you didnt want to pursue grad studies upon graduating from your undergrad. You should mention your internship and other work that you've done since graduating that is relevant. What you probably should focus a lot on is what you want to do in grad school. The SoP should be forward looking to the research you want to do in grad school - and profs are more interested in your future plans than in a 'spicy' SoP. So my advice to you FWIW is to lay out what it is you want to do in grad school in detail. I think adcomms will find that interesting:)

Hi,

Also, I think it would be helpful to mention 2 or 3 professors in the department who you are interested in working with and why, in your paragraph about why you chose this particular program.

I totally agree with Newms here too. Be positive! Avoid the negatives as much as you can, unless you feel like you want to explain low grades/GRE scores.

GOOD LUCK!