General Music Composition PhD/DMA Update Thread

ranvealiu

I figured it would be nice to share what I know about certain doctoral program admission statuses for some of the bigger schools for music composition in the United States, considering they have some of the lowest admission rates in the world in regards to field and region.

Cal Arts Performer-Composer DMA has sent out the first round of interview invitations. 5 people have their interviews this week and next.

Harvard, Brown, and Columbia have all been sending out both acceptances and rejections for their programs. Notably, Columbia had ~1250 applicants for their 3-4 DMA spots (confirmed by multiple primary sources).

I applied to 7 doctoral programs, but with those kind of numbers I'm not very hopeful.

On 2/15/2023 at 8:20 PM, ranvealiu said:

I figured it would be nice to share what I know about certain doctoral program admission statuses for some of the bigger schools for music composition in the United States, considering they have some of the lowest admission rates in the world in regards to field and region.

Cal Arts Performer-Composer DMA has sent out the first round of interview invitations. 5 people have their interviews this week and next https://showbox.bio/.

Harvard, Brown, and Columbia have all been sending out both acceptances and rejections for their programs. Notably, Columbia had ~1250 applicants for their 3-4 DMA spots (confirmed by multiple primary sources).

I applied to 7 doctoral programs, but with those kind of numbers I'm not very hopeful https://vidmate.cool/

I got this.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a brutal process. I have one acceptance with funding still pending. I was rejected from 3 programs. I am still waiting to hear from 3 programs (Virginia, Cornell, Irvine). Should I assume those will be rejections? I have seen acceptances and rejections from all but Irvine. Any guidance is appreciated! 

• 2 months later...

The competition for spots in these programs can be fierce, and it's understandable that you may feel uncertain given the large number of applicants. Remember to stay positive and keep exploring other opportunities as well. Best of luck with your applications!

On 2/15/2023 at 4:50 PM, ranvealiu said:

Cal Arts Performer-Composer DMA has sent out the first round of interview invitations. 5 people have their interviews this week and next.

Harvard, Brown, and Columbia have all been sending out both acceptances and rejections for their programs. Notably, Columbia had ~1250 applicants for their 3-4 DMA spots (confirmed by multiple primary spotify promo).

I applied to 7 doctoral programs, but with those kind of numbers I'm not very hopeful.

While it can be challenging to predict the outcome of the application process, it's important to remain hopeful and keep a positive mindset. Each program has its own unique criteria and selection process, so there's still a chance for a positive outcome.

Edited by KingLopez