J School 23-24 admissions

JskoolwannaB

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I've been wondering where the j-school discussion for 2023 was, so I'm happy to have people to discuss with!

I applied to Berkeley, Northwestern, American, BU, USC and Maryland. So far have only heard from American and Maryland but was requested for an interview with Berkeley and USC. 

This waiting game is so difficult - but hopefully we can make it easier having this forum for support. Thanks for making it!

18 hours ago, mf77 said:

I have received acceptances from Maryland and American. Berkeley said it would be "a couple of weeks" on Feb 15th and I haven't heard back from anywhere else. Have you been given any rough dates?

I think NYC schools should be sending out acceptances this month. Waiting game at this point...

• 2 weeks later...

I would love it if anyone would want to share thoughts on choosing a school/if it's worth it to take out loans to attend certain programs (if you're taking prestige/name into consideration, program, etc). What is everyone else thinking? 

3 hours ago, jc5011 said:

Applied to Columbia Journalism and only there....haven't heard back. Has anyone? 

I haven’t heard back either yet, I think it’ll be next week as it was around the 15th last year I believe?

I also wonder about loans for this degree. 
idk if it’s worth it with the rates that are out there. I wish they could offer generous scholarships that actually cover cost of attending. Do they ever give full scholarships? 

Columbia announcing on 15th or so. Good luck 

Assuming you're referring to Columbia, they give out around 20 full tuition and 50 half tuition scholarships each year. 

Re: whether it's worth it for the loans--I have heard unanimously from all the Columbia j-school alum I've spoken to that going to the j-school helps you with networking above anything else. If Columbia barely gives you any money, and you already have a pretty solid network, or have several identified ways of getting your foot in the door, it might not be worth it. That's how I'm viewing it, anyways. But I've also heard that every person that's asked for more money from the j-school, has received more, even if only a little bit. So worth asking for more money either way. 

completely personal issue, but I will be in a remote area/won't have service from the 14th until the 17th, so I am praying to god that they tell us before then. 

1 hour ago, JskoolwannaB said:

columbia results are out. i got in! anyone hear about financial aid? 

I got accepted! But with 0 financial aid despite being first gen and low income (on a full ride at my university right now as I’m low income) so the dream may be dead for me unfortunately. Good luck to everyone else though! 

1 hour ago, JGrad2 said:

Hey everyone congrats! I also got in today, but not seeing anything about financial aid. How and when did you hear from them? 

I got a separate email from Columbia notifying me about financial aid decision. I believe if you're getting aid in the form of scholarships it says it in the letter.