Life After Grad School

ldb88

This is currently my first semester in a numerical analysis Ph.D. program. I haven't done any real research before, so I am just getting used to the environment. I really like learning and working on advanced topics. However, there is a lot of pressure, and it seems like a very competitive environment, which I don't really like. I would prefer a more peaceful and laid-back environment than I am in now. I like being able to come home and enjoy my time off rather than worrying if I should be working more.

Is it like this after grad school also? Does it depend whether you go into academia, industry, or a research lab? What are the expectations in terms of hrs/wk? I think if I can expect this kind of environment for the rest of my life, I would rather find a more peaceful job.

P.S. If I am being overly "the grass is always greener on the other side" or looking at this in the wrong way, please let me know!

Edited by ldb88

• 2 weeks later...

It will depend highly on your field. I spent 8 years working at a state agency between my Master's and PhD. I worked in a capacity that developed curriculum delivered via continuing education to a global community. I was salaried and the expectation was 40 hours per week. In reality, this averaged to 50 hours a week. There were nights and weekends where I brought work home or went in to the office. Before I left, I had taken a second job teaching a Business Communication class at a local community college. That added another 15-20 hours/week. I honestly work less overall now (but read a helluva lot more).