Retake GRE for History?

historyhopeful

Hi all,

I'm applying to PhD programs in early modern European history for Fall 2011. I took the GRE a few months ago, and scored 670 V, 620 Q, 5.5 A. I was a bit disappointed with my verbal scores, but is it worth the time/money to retake? I'm applying to top 10 programs and don't want this to be the reason I don't get in. My GPA is strong- 3.93 from an Ivy League- will that make up for the slightly low verbal score?

Hi all,

I'm applying to PhD programs in early modern European history for Fall 2011. I took the GRE a few months ago, and scored 670 V, 620 Q, 5.5 A. I was a bit disappointed with my verbal scores, but is it worth the time/money to retake? I'm applying to top 10 programs and don't want this to be the reason I don't get in. My GPA is strong- 3.93 from an Ivy League- will that make up for the slightly low verbal score?

Your verbal score is in the top 10% of people who take the GREs. I'd say that you are just fine.