Do I have a chance for grad school? Please help

morningdew

Hi guys, I really appreciate your feedbacks.

I have BA in Communication major and I am apply to DePaul University Media and Cinema communications program to earn my Masters and then hopefully Ph.D. I but heard that DePaul is not THAT hard to get into.

Okay, so I'm trying to apply for spring semester, and they require 3.0 GPA, 2 rec letters, GRE optional, writing sample, and statement of purpose.

I have little dilemma here. My overall GPA is 2.83 but my major GPA is 3.2. The reason for my overall GPA being low is that I was originally biology major because my parents really wanted me to be a doctor, but I just had no passion. So I forced myself to take upper science courses that resulted my GPA to be down so low. However, I decided to major in communication later and did pretty well in communication classes.

I'm afraid that the admission will not even look at my application because of my low GPA. I'm planning to send 3 letters of rec from my communication professors and taking GRE next week to see if I can strengthened the application. Should I mention in statement of purpose on why my GPA is low? And do I have a chance to get into the program?

* Oh I also did an internship in my senior last semester as a Social Media/Research coordinator for non-profit organization, does this help?

Thanks all!

Edited by gracie915

Hi guys, I really appreciate your feedbacks.

I have BA in Communication major and I am apply to DePaul University Media and Cinema communications program to earn my Masters and then hopefully Ph.D. I but heard that DePaul is not THAT hard to get into.

Okay, so I'm trying to apply for spring semester, and they require 3.0 GPA, 2 rec letters, GRE optional, writing sample, and statement of purpose.

I have little dilemma here. My overall GPA is 2.83 but my major GPA is 3.4. The reason for my overall GPA being low is that I was originally biology major because my parents really wanted me to be a doctor, but I just had no passion. So I forced myself to take upper science courses that resulted my GPA to be down so low. However, I decided to major in communication later and did pretty well in communication classes.

I'm afraid that the admission will not even look at my application because of my low GPA. I'm planning to send 3 letters of rec from my communication professors and taking GRE next week to see if I can strengthened the application. Should I mention in statement of purpose on why my GPA is low? And do I have a chance to get into the program?

Thanks all!

It is possible to getting in with a sub 3 GPA, there are many threads on this forum by people who have got into grad school with a GPA below 3. Furthermore, your major GPA is more important so that 3.4 will help. Also I'm guessing that your GPA in your senior and junior years would be higher than before? If so, admissions committees like to see an improving GPA, so that will also work in your favor. It is harder to get into grad school with a low GPA, but it is possible. You're just going to have to convince them in your SoP and in your letters of recommendation that you can do well in grad school. So go ahead, apply.