Javits Fellowship 2011

grad2525

A little late to be thinking about this, but I never got a confirmation that my application was received. Did anyone else not get a confirmation?

I just realized I never got a confirmation either. This seems to be an issue for a lot of people though.

I just realized I never got a confirmation either. This seems to be an issue for a lot of people though.

I never "received" a confirmation--no email or letter was ever sent to me, but I called in and got one. If you'd like, you can call the 800 number and ask. I don't think you should worry--it seems that a few people received electronic confirmations really early on, and the rest didn't--even though they were, in fact, received and complete.

From the FAQ section of the site:

"When are new fellowship awards announced?

The Department of Education must announce new awards by March 1 of the academic year proceeding the academic year for which the fellowship is awarded."

UHHH, does this mean we should be hearing from them tomorrow...?

I think decisions came out later than March 1 last year, and I am pretty sure it said everyone would know by then. I hope we hear something soon though.

From the FAQ section of the site:

"When are new fellowship awards announced?

The Department of Education must announce new awards by March 1 of the academic year proceeding the academic year for which the fellowship is awarded."

UHHH, does this mean we should be hearing from them tomorrow...?

But last year the delay was due to a big snow storm. The year before they notified on time, even early. So they might actually get them out this week.

I think decisions came out later than March 1 last year, and I am pretty sure it said everyone would know by then. I hope we hear something soon though.

But last year the delay was due to a big snow storm. The year before they notified on time, even early. So they might actually get them out this week.

Oh that's good to know. Does anyone know how we will be notified?

I haven't heard, and I called the Javits line after hours to see if they left a message. They simply said that applicants would be notified in late February or early March. I'm hoping they haven't started announcements yet--every year before this someone posted their acceptance, so it seems unlikely that none of the successful applicants use this site. Anyone else hear anything?

Anyone hear anything yet? Please post if you do so we will all know if the notifications have begun! Thanks!

all my fingers are crossed.

I called yesterday and spoke with Carmen Gordon and she said that Sara, the other woman in charge of notifying applicants, was out sick. Also, the DOE didn't authorize a release of funds until late in the day on March 1st. So, that means that they were not able to make the calls on the first, but they planned to start yesterday and will likely finish by the end of the week. She also said that if you do not hear by the middle of next week, you can call and get confirmation either way. She said they were also behind on calling people yesterday because of the huge amount of calls they were getting from nervous applicants like myself who just wanted to know what the deal was. But I couldn't help myself!

So, if you haven't heard yet, there is still hope. If you have heard, CONGRATULATIONS! (and plz post and let the rest of us know! :) )

hope this is helpful. Good luck!

I haven't heard anything yet. Crossing my fingers!

I called yesterday and spoke with Carmen Gordon and she said that Sara, the other woman in charge of notifying applicants, was out sick. Also, the DOE didn't authorize a release of funds until late in the day on March 1st. So, that means that they were not able to make the calls on the first, but they planned to start yesterday and will likely finish by the end of the week. She also said that if you do not hear by the middle of next week, you can call and get confirmation either way. She said they were also behind on calling people yesterday because of the huge amount of calls they were getting from nervous applicants like myself who just wanted to know what the deal was. But I couldn't help myself!

So, if you haven't heard yet, there is still hope. If you have heard, CONGRATULATIONS! (and plz post and let the rest of us know! :) )

This was so helpful! Thanks, firstene.

Hi Firstene,

Yes, this is incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for posting! Sorry to sound obsessive, but from your email, I couldn't understand if they had in fact started calling when you contacted them--you said that they "planned" on starting the calls yesterday, but also that they were "behind on calling people yesterday". Did you understand if they had already, in fact, made calls? I'm guessing from your post that they didn't tell you the status of your own application, right? Sorry to be patronizing! I'm honestly more nervous about this than I was about hearing from grad schools in the first place!!! And I can't concentrate on my own research at all : )

I have fingers crossed for all of us!

hey, no problem. I am also in a kind of nervous state, constantly checking my phone in case somehow i missed a call even though the ringer is on and it is only a few feet from my ears....

anyway, they had not yet started making calls when I called, at 11:33 am eastern time :) Carmen said that they would start asap, but that she had spent the day thus far answering phone calls and emails from applicants asking the same questions I asked. She thought that she would be able to start making calls yesterday, but wasn't sure. She said there were about 1000 applicants, and so she was dealing with a lot of calls. (Which makes sense, if 10% of the applicants called, it would take a long time to deal with 100 phone calls.) But she did say that selected applicants should hear by the end of the week.

And, she didn't tell me about my application. I didn't ask, but she said, "I don't have the list right in front of me" and it was hard for me to resist the urge to say "can you please get the list and tell me?!!!"

I can understand the not being able to concentrate on work! I have been trying to finish some work all day for a class that is 2 hours away, and all I can seem to accomplish is web surfing and phone-checking :) Good luck!

Hi Firstene,

Yes, this is incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for posting! Sorry to sound obsessive, but from your email, I couldn't understand if they had in fact started calling when you contacted them--you said that they "planned" on starting the calls yesterday, but also that they were "behind on calling people yesterday". Did you understand if they had already, in fact, made calls? I'm guessing from your post that they didn't tell you the status of your own application, right? Sorry to be patronizing! I'm honestly more nervous about this than I was about hearing from grad schools in the first place!!! And I can't concentrate on my own research at all : )

I have fingers crossed for all of us!

Thanks so much, Firstene! So helpful. I have to admit though, I am a little disheartened to hear there were 1000 applicants. Thats about 200 more than they've had in the past, and when I called to get my confirmation in November, they told me that there was only 200 (which I did think was inaccurate, but I wanted to believe that the earlier deadline this year had somehow significantly reduced the pool). Anyway, thanks again so much for this information. Had I not received it, I think there is a very good chance I would have remained in a near-nervous breakdown state until the end of March : )

Good luck with your class!

hey, no problem. I am also in a kind of nervous state, constantly checking my phone in case somehow i missed a call even though the ringer is on and it is only a few feet from my ears....

anyway, they had not yet started making calls when I called, at 11:33 am eastern time :) Carmen said that they would start asap, but that she had spent the day thus far answering phone calls and emails from applicants asking the same questions I asked. She thought that she would be able to start making calls yesterday, but wasn't sure. She said there were about 1000 applicants, and so she was dealing with a lot of calls. (Which makes sense, if 10% of the applicants called, it would take a long time to deal with 100 phone calls.) But she did say that selected applicants should hear by the end of the week.

And, she didn't tell me about my application. I didn't ask, but she said, "I don't have the list right in front of me" and it was hard for me to resist the urge to say "can you please get the list and tell me?!!!"

I can understand the not being able to concentrate on work! I have been trying to finish some work all day for a class that is 2 hours away, and all I can seem to accomplish is web surfing and phone-checking :) Good luck!

Ugh this is the most worrisome part! 60% of apps have to be those without any graduate credits, which already hurts my chances. 20% for all of the social sciences, 20% for arts, and 60% humanities. Other than that, I haven't heard of them "equally" distributing--though I've noticed from previous years that most of the fellows work on literature.

OK, a question to waste 3 more minutes of my time worrying about this today! For those obsessively checking grad cafe, what are the chances that nobody will post here (or that none of the successful applicants use the site)? I realize it will just be a best guest, but I'm shocked by how few people have reported javits results in the past--when I applied to grad school, people posted their acceptances within minutes of my receiving them!

Ugh this is the most worrisome part! 60% of apps have to be those without any graduate credits, which already hurts my chances. 20% for all of the social sciences, 20% for arts, and 60% humanities. Other than that, I haven't heard of them "equally" distributing--though I've noticed from previous years that most of the fellows work on literature.

OK, a question to waste 3 more minutes of my time worrying about this today! For those obsessively checking grad cafe, what are the chances that nobody will post here (or that none of the successful applicants use the site)? I realize it will just be a best guest, but I'm shocked by how few people have reported javits results in the past--when I applied to grad school, people posted their acceptances within minutes of my receiving them!

It seemed like in last year's Javits thread a few people did report back their results, so hopefully people do the same here. Either way, what firstene told us today was super helpful and if I don't hear back tomorrow or Monday I'll be pretty positive I didn't get it and will call them Wednesday or something to confirm...

I found out today that I was accepted for the Javits 2011 year. It sounds like they are finishing up contacting the first round of selected applications today. Check your voicemail and inbox! I had missed a message from Carmen earlier in the week. I think they let alternates know in August so alternates won't know yet. Good luck!

Wow, congratulations! i'm still hoping...... :) thanks for posting so we know that calls are going out.

I found out today that I was accepted for the Javits 2011 year. It sounds like they are finishing up contacting the first round of selected applications today. Check your voicemail and inbox! I had missed a message from Carmen earlier in the week. I think they let alternates know in August so alternates won't know yet. Good luck!

I sent an email on March 1 asking about notification. I got the following response today:

"Decisions are typically released on/around March 1st. Please be advised that, as of March 1st, late Tuesday afternoon, our program office received permission from Office of the Secretary of Education to begin phoning principal candidates who’ve been recommended for fellowships. I began contacting principal candidates by phone Wednesday and should finish today. Once continuation funding awards have been made to our continuing fellows this Summer, remaining funding will be used to fund another round of new fellows (alternate candidates). Therefore, if you haven’t heard anything from our office by the end of this week, then it means you were either recommended as an alternate candidate---and must now await the letter we typically mail out over the next couple of weeks---or you were not recommended for funding, in which case you will not be called and will likely receive an email/letter notification in May of this year; in the meanwhile, I appreciate your continued patience regarding this matter."

Hope this is helpful.

I was informed I had received one on Thursday through a phone call... does anybody know of a way to guess how much money we will actually qualify for of that 30,000? I'm waiting for the financial aid office at my school to get back to me.

There was a different recording when I called earlier today - at least I'm pretty sure it's different. And I think the voice said that successful applicants would be notified by late March...??? I am so confused.