Schools for Research and Teaching?

soramimicake

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying to umbrella schools in the area of the molecular biosciences. I definitely want to do research in my future, but I want to teach as well. Does anybody know of particular graduate schools that have a strong teaching component or teaching option involved in their graduate degrees? I know that a lot of schools tend to look down on teaching and make the requirement as small as possible, so does anyone know of schools that actually encourage teaching? One example that I've found is that at Northwestern University they give a few students the opportunity to get a teaching certificate while in their graduate studies. Another possibility would be schools that are willing to add a little bit onto a student's stipend if they're willing to TA a few more classes? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying to umbrella schools in the area of the molecular biosciences. I definitely want to do research in my future, but I want to teach as well. Does anybody know of particular graduate schools that have a strong teaching component or teaching option involved in their graduate degrees? I know that a lot of schools tend to look down on teaching and make the requirement as small as possible, so does anyone know of schools that actually encourage teaching? One example that I've found is that at Northwestern University they give a few students the opportunity to get a teaching certificate while in their graduate studies. Another possibility would be schools that are willing to add a little bit onto a student's stipend if they're willing to TA a few more classes? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Erm as far as I know most schools have a teaching component to their degrees. The difference just lies in the way they administer that component. Some of them advertise TA positions as a way to make some money, some make it compulsary to teach at least one class and some require you to do only a minimum of tutorial-style teaching. I think at the end of the day it's up to you to do your research and look for which schools do what. For schools that only require a small amount of teaching I would email and ask if there are limits on the amount of teaching hours you can put in. Hope that helps!