Hello,

I'm new to this (fabulous) forum, and hope I'm not starting off with a ridiculous question.

So Rutgers is one of the schools I (was) applying to, but I just realized they only accept GRE scores from the past 3 years according to their website. My scores are from 4 years ago (I got my MA and took a year off, so that was in fall 06).

Would it be stupid to contact the DGS or someone and ask if this policy is set in stone? I don't want to be *that person* asking dumb questions, but I also don't want to have to retake those horrid tests just for one school.

Has anyone ever contacted a school to ask about just how strict their weird GRE windows of validity are?

Thank you!! (And please don't laugh at me ;)

That doesn't sound unreasonable or stupid at all. It's an expensive test, and it's not as if you haven't taken it in 8 or 9 years-- it's only been one more than their "limit," and you've been in a MA program since then. There are many parts in the application process that aren't set in stone, but there is a need for clear and concise application instructions for the bulk of applicants so that the exceptions, such as yourself, might need to contact the program to ask. I'd contact them via phone or email as soon as possible to clear it up.

Hello,

I'm new to this (fabulous) forum, and hope I'm not starting off with a ridiculous question.

So Rutgers is one of the schools I (was) applying to, but I just realized they only accept GRE scores from the past 3 years according to their website. My scores are from 4 years ago (I got my MA and took a year off, so that was in fall 06).

Would it be stupid to contact the DGS or someone and ask if this policy is set in stone? I don't want to be *that person* asking dumb questions, but I also don't want to have to retake those horrid tests just for one school.

Has anyone ever contacted a school to ask about just how strict their weird GRE windows of validity are?

Edited by poco_puffs

Hello,

I'd be a bit hesitant to simply call. I can't speak for DGS's in general (I've been a graduate student under 5 different DGS's--I can see them responding to this question in very different ways). However, at least some of the DGS's I've encountered would not take to this well. Few of them would be rude to you in response, but this might leave the wrong impression. (I personally wouldn't view it this way, but it can lead a less sympathetic to think that you're trying to avoid doing as much work as other people). And believe me, you don't want to give the DGS any reason to have a negative impression associated with your name. Furthermore (and I say this with my own savvy DGS--of a different program--in mind), she/he might not be inclined to make exceptions for an applicant...particularly in a medium as easily trackable as email...in case she/he are asked why he/she did not offer that opportunity to others. Some DGS's are ultra-sensitive about not showing favoritism to applicants, particularly to a candidate that they don't know (or don't know through a trusted colleague).

Personally, I'd just suck up and re-take the test if I really wanted to get into Rutgers. Otherwise, I'd just take a calculated risk and send the old scores. If you are *really* concerned, you might want to call the graduate administrator (NOT the DGS, who is sometimes unhappy to deal with the administrative-ish details) and ask anonymously. Rutgers, I believe, has a very knowledgeable, kind, and savvy grad administrator. I bet she knows more than the DGS (who is fairly new to the job anyway) on these matters. As a general rule, I wouldn't bother the DGS with issue that can be asked of the staff. (This varies from program to program, but the staff is typically knowledgable...and often has more power to grease the wheels than you might think).

Edited by strokeofmidnight

I'd be a bit hesitant to simply call. I can't speak for DGS's in general (I've been a graduate student under 5 different DGS's--I can see them responding to this question in very different ways). However, at least some of the DGS's I've encountered would not take to this well. Few of them would be rude to you in response, but this might leave the wrong impression. (I personally wouldn't view it this way, but it can lead a less sympathetic to think that you're trying to avoid doing as much work as other people). And believe me, you don't want to give the DGS any reason to have a negative impression associated with your name. Furthermore (and I say this with my own savvy DGS--of a different program--in mind), she/he might not be inclined to make exceptions for an applicant...particularly in a medium as easily trackable as email...in case she/he are asked why he/she did not offer that opportunity to others. Some DGS's are ultra-sensitive about not showing favoritism to applicants, particularly to a candidate that they don't know (or don't know through a trusted colleague).

Personally, I'd just suck up and re-take the test if I really wanted to get into Rutgers. Otherwise, I'd just take a calculated risk and send the old scores. If you are *really* concerned, you might want to call the graduate administrator (NOT the DGS, who is sometimes unhappy to deal with the administrative-ish details) and ask anonymously. Rutgers, I believe, has a very knowledgeable, kind, and savvy grad administrator. I bet she knows more than the DGS (who is fairly new to the job anyway) on these matters. As a general rule, I wouldn't bother the DGS with issue that can be asked of the staff. (This varies from program to program, but the staff is typically knowledgable...and often has more power to grease the wheels than you might think).

Seconding all this.

• 3 weeks later...

i don't agree with what has been said re: dgs not responding well to such a question. they want people to apply properly and with correct information so I think asking them a question like this, which isn't a bad question, is totally acceptable. i would call and would maybe speak with the admin assistant/secretary of the office because it is an easy question to answer by someone in that position.

also, if you feel like it could be harmful to your application, you don't have to give your real name/introduce yourself on the phone when you get a hold of someone. a lot of times, phone calls allow for anonymity.

NOTE: this is my perspective as a grad student with experience working in the admin office of my program. i would sometimes be the one to answer the phone for such questions and would often end the conversation without knowing anyone's name. it's not like the office is interested in marking things down as early as possible in order to black-list your app.

i don't agree with what has been said re: dgs not responding well to such a question. they want people to apply properly and with correct information so I think asking them a question like this, which isn't a bad question, is totally acceptable. i would call and would maybe speak with the admin assistant/secretary of the office because it is an easy question to answer by someone in that position.

also, if you feel like it could be harmful to your application, you don't have to give your real name/introduce yourself on the phone when you get a hold of someone. a lot of times, phone calls allow for anonymity.

NOTE: this is my perspective as a grad student with experience working in the admin office of my program. i would sometimes be the one to answer the phone for such questions and would often end the conversation without knowing anyone's name. it's not like the office is interested in marking things down as early as possible in order to black-list your app.

I don't think we disagree, actually--

I think that it makes sense for the OP to contact the department's office anonymously via phone. What I wouldn't recommend would be either calling or emailing the DGS, unless the graduate admin refers the applicant to s/he directly. Apologies to the OP for not being more clear the first time.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I think all the advice about thinking twice before emailing the DGS was correct...I get so myopic during this process I forget faculty are rightly annoyed by random inquiries.

For future reference, Rutgers does not make exceptions about the Subject test! You have to have scores from the last 3 years, no matter what the circumstances.