ford foundation fellowship 2008

me5000

They are still processing awardees and declinees... More information should be available within the next two weeks so check your mailbox!

If you haven't heard anything by the end of the month, then it's likely that you were not chosen as an alternate.

From what I could gather (which means I have no real proof--just some analysis of the language that was used when I called Ford a few days ago) there are some declinees.

So there's still hope!

Thanks for the info. I actually just called them today and the person I spoke with (who was very nice) said that they were still receiving acceptances and declinations. However, if they have decide to extend an offer to someone on the alternates list, the person would receive an email notifying them before they receive an official packet. Hope this helps!

If they are receiving declinations, then that means some alternates will be chosen, right? I mean, it may not be me, but it has to be somebody or would Ford just give out fewer awards this cycle?

I wonder when these new decisions will be made. I'm guessing in a week or so.

If you get notification, please post or email!

gracieh,

Do you mean that alternates have been chosen and already notified? Or have alternates been chosen but not yet notified? I hope it's the latter.

Do you know of any other alternates?

Do you have any information on how many alternates there are this year?

I can't find any information online.

I imagine that Ford will have to notify alternates soon, but it can't be soon enough for me! I really would like to know.

I don't know how many alternates there are this year. The person I spoke with couldn't reveal that information. I personally don't know anyone who is an alternate, so I'm in the dark as well.

Called this morning. They have gone to the alternate lists--there are separate rankings for each broad area--as soon as people decline the fellowship. Some alternates have been notified, but not all possible recipients have replied. Their "deadline" is May 15, so you may want to check then.

If they have rankings in each broad area, then that doesn't bode well for those of us in the humanities. There are only a couple of competing fellowships that are better than Ford.

I'll probably call at the end of next week, but I'm less hopeful now.

Thanks, JelloMan!

Thanks, JelloMan. It's weird that those two people wouldn't reply. If Ford sent me anything that looked like an acceptance, I'd reply immediately.

Well, I think the process for this year is over for me. But I will re-apply next year!

• 2 weeks later...
monkeywrench, congratulations! that's great news.

I would echo the last post, if you are willing to share any tips for future applicants I'm sure it would be very much appreciated (I personally am not going to reapply b/c this year was my last chance for the predoc but I know there are many who would like to hear how you did it).

Please, oh please, can someone give some insider info re getting this fellowship?

Thanks!

Bit of a silly question perhaps, but please bear with me.

I am an entering PhD student in the humanities who is interested in applying for the Ford Foundation Diversity Fellowship. However, I am almost as non-diverse as they come (German-Irish boy from the middle west). I have worked exclusively for the last 6 years with immigrant populations in inner city schools and my research interests have come out of my desire to continue working with similar populations. The question then is, how much does the lack of personal 'diversity' count in the application? Are reviewers more interested in the applicants background or in their experience and research interests?

Thanks for any insight.

• 1 month later...