PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

9 hours ago, PHD24 said:

New to the forum experience but I just found this group so helpful during the past few days of intense waiting! 

Has anyone heard about interviews for UC Berkeley or Columbia for EH? When I applied to Columbia, they said they didn't match you with an advisor until you got there, so I'm not sure what the interview process looks like. I'm assuming I would've heard about an interview from either of the two schools by now if I was making it to the next round. 

I got an offer from UCLA and interview from Harvard (waiting to hear back). I'm nervous because my acceptance at UCLA is trying to move forward and I don't have an answer for them yet. Not sure if anyone is in a similar position where they are trying to weigh their options and the schools are on totally different timelines! Also got a rejection from JHU yesterday. 

Good luck to everyone!! 

Congrats to your UCLA offer!! what program did you apply to? 

15 minutes ago, qeeeeeeeeet said:

Congrats to your UCLA offer!! what program did you apply to? 

Thank you so much! I applied to the EHS track. I was telling someone else on here that the prof reached out really early, so I'm not sure if it's indicative of the schools general timeline. I have been getting emails for admitted students days in the last few days. I hope everything is going well and goes well for you! 

36 minutes ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Congrats to you as well! It feels like we are along for the ride together virtually, lol. 

i read on Reddit that USF does 3 rounds and heard they do cuts after each round. 

Haha, Yes. It seems like we're in this together.

So, we are supposed to receive an email with the information and respond to that within 48 hours? Or can we expect to be talking to someone on Zoom?

Three rounds of interviews are quite rigorous and overwhelming. I hope we all make it through. Good Luck to everyone. 

4 minutes ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Haha, Yes. It seems like we're in this together.

So, we are supposed to receive an email with the information and respond to that within 48 hours? Or can we expect to be talking to someone on Zoom?

Three rounds of interviews are quite rigorous and overwhelming. I hope we all make it through. Good Luck to everyone. 

I understood it as we need to respond with dates/times within 48h (by Friday). I assume first round interviews will take place next week. 

12 hours ago, PHD24 said:

Thank you so much! I applied to the EHS track. I was telling someone else on here that the prof reached out really early, so I'm not sure if it's indicative of the schools general timeline. I have been getting emails for admitted students days in the last few days. I hope everything is going well and goes well for you! 

Thanks!! I applied to epi track and have done the interview in january. So nervous during waiting.....

1 minute ago, qeeeeeeeeet said:

Thanks!! I applied to epi track and have done the interview in january. So nervous during waiting.....

Yes, I would give it more time! Prof. reached out to me in second week of December and I got the offer the last few days of Jan. Definitely a different timeline :) 

12 hours ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Yes, that was my understanding as well. Well, good luck to you. I hope we all make it to the next round and beyond.

Okay, I re-read the email. I should have paid better attention. They will email us 3 questions and they want a written response by Friday. Nothing about scheduling an interview at this point. 

For the first round of the interview process, you will be contacted tomorrow, Wednesday, February 14 and asked to provide written responses to three questions, within a 48 hour timeframe. Please be prepared for this next step in the admissions process.

2 minutes ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Okay, I re-read the email. I should have paid better attention. They will email us 3 questions and they want a written response by Friday. Nothing about scheduling an interview at this point. 

For the first round of the interview process, you will be contacted tomorrow, Wednesday, February 14 and asked to provide written responses to three questions, within a 48 hour timeframe. Please be prepared for this next step in the admissions process.

Yes. That is what I meant. Fingers Crossed. I haven't received anything yet though.

Hi All, 

Update for everyone: 

Michigan Epi: Offer of Admission with funding 

UCLA Epi: Offer of admission today, no funding letter though (did anyone else receive their funding letter yet?)

Minnesota: Made it to advisor match, but haven't heard anything more in 2 weeks. 

Rejected without interview: Emory (Epi), Hopkins (Epi - no interview), UCSF (Epi), U Washington (Epi)

Haven't heard from: UNC (Epi), UC Berkeley (ID and Immuno), Yale (Epi in Microbrial), Boston Uni (Epi), Harvard (PHS-Epi), Columbia (Epi)

Just now, MimiNMe said:

Ok, good to know, will write this one off!

Probably so, because the reply I just received from the department is that the top candidates (regardless of citizenship) were interviewed this week (international students via zoom).  According to them, it is likely that everyone else will either be a waitlisted candidate or may be declined, and that  waitlisted candidates are then interviewed IF they go to the waitlist. In any case they plan to release decisions by the end of the month.

PS. This information is specifically for Yale SBS

Anyone else apply to the UNMC DrPH program?

I just got an email from admissions, not sure if these are done on a rolling basis.
"The preliminary review has been completed on your application for the Doctor of Public Health program.  Your application has been forwarded to our DrPH faculty to be included in our final review process. All final reviews will begin after the February 1st application deadline. Our DrPH review committee hopes to have final decisions communicated around April 15th."

27 minutes ago, arete247 said:

Probably so, because the reply I just received from the department is that the top candidates (regardless of citizenship) were interviewed this week (international students via zoom).  According to them, it is likely that everyone else will either be a waitlisted candidate or may be declined, and that  waitlisted candidates are then interviewed IF they go to the waitlist. In any case they plan to release decisions by the end of the month.

PS. This information is specifically for Yale SBS

Thanks, this is super helpful! Will just scratch off my list haha…