PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

Wonderful! Thanks! I will apply this year to Phd programs in Epimiology. I am considering on applying to Duke Pop Health, JHU Epi, UNC Epi, Columbia Epi, and Harvard Pop Healh Sciences Epi. This will be my first time applying, so I am looking forward to learning from all of you.

Hi! I'm going to be applying for the DrPH finally this year for 2024! I'm actually only applying for JHU Health Policy and Management Concentration. It seems to fit best with my current schedule/career plans. Glad to be here!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 9:56 AM, _kita said:

Hi! I'm going to be applying for the DrPH finally this year for 2024! I'm actually only applying for JHU Health Policy and Management Concentration. It seems to fit best with my current schedule/career plans. Glad to be here!

Wow! I wish you the best!

Research paper writing is often a daunting task for students, and I can definitely relate. It can be overwhelming to sift through countless sources, analyze data, and then organize everything into a coherent paper. But it's important to remember that you're not alone in this struggle. BestCustomWriting is a research paper writing service every tired student can trust. Here you may not worry about the timely delivery, authentic content, and relevant sources used – expert writers know how to write research papers that get an A.

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I have a question regarding SOPHAS and the application process for a DrPH program.

I'm planning to apply for the DrPH program this fall for 2024, but I have concerns about my undergraduate GPA, which is 2.85. I faced some family hurdles during my major in Clinical Lab Science. On the other hand, my graduate GPA for my MPH is quite good at 3.98. I understand that many DrPH programs primarily consider the graduate GPA. However, I would like to know if SOPHAS calculates the overall GPA when entering my undergraduate GPA. If that's the case, my GPA won't be outstanding, and it's possible that many schools might not even consider my application.

I'm wondering if it's possible to only enter my graduate school GPA on SOPHAS. Do most schools also look at the undergraduate GPA? I'm eager to hear from experts in this field. Thank you so much, and I wish everyone the best of luck in this application cycle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2023 at 1:16 PM, letmegetintoschools said:

Greetings everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I have a question regarding SOPHAS and the application process for a DrPH program.

I'm planning to apply for the DrPH program this fall for 2024, but I have concerns about my undergraduate GPA, which is 2.85. I faced some family hurdles during my major in Clinical Lab Science. On the other hand, my graduate GPA for my MPH is quite good at 3.98. I understand that many DrPH programs primarily consider the graduate GPA. However, I would like to know if SOPHAS calculates the overall GPA when entering my undergraduate GPA. If that's the case, my GPA won't be outstanding, and it's possible that many schools might not even consider my application.

I'm wondering if it's possible to only enter my graduate school GPA on SOPHAS. Do most schools also look at the undergraduate GPA? I'm eager to hear from experts in this field. Thank you so much, and I wish everyone the best of luck in this application cycle.

Hi! I am not expert at all. However, I have seen that SOPHAS asks you to submit all your transcrips. Also, there is a help center section in SOPHAS where you can look for further information (https://help.liaisonedu.com/SOPHAS_Applicant_Help_Center). I have called a couple of times and they are very responsive. While the importance of the undergraduate GPA varies from program to program, I usually read that you can make your case and explain why your GPA is low in your application package, so the admission officers can consider your special circumstances. Another suggestion I would give you is to directly contact the DrPH program of your preference and ask how they weight the undergraduate GPA compared to the other application materials. I find this is the best way to get your specific questions anwered and get relevant advice on how to make your application stronger. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Heya!

DrPH applicant: JHPH Health Equity and Social Justice, Tulane, BU, Harvard.

Nervous. Excited. Gathering my LoR writers now and having conversations with them. Doing my personal statements bit by bit. 

Anyone know anyone in these programs? Trying to discern how likely I am to get in anywhere based on my experience, academics, etc. 

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2023 at 12:18 AM, Qantu said:

Wow! I wish you the best!

Thanks!

JHU would really just help me develop the skills faster to move into a leadership role where I already am.

I need a part-time, online program as I'm a mom to a toddler, and working full-time for the department system of care change I initiative I hopefully end up the leader of in the future (once the current leader is ready to retire!)

I looked at a lot of programs I thought would fit, but one by one, it just wasn't feasible. If I don't get in, it's not earth shattering, but it would be incredibly disappointing as this is the perfect year professionally and personally to start this journey.

13 hours ago, Public health grl said:

Has anyone submitted applications yet or have to do a Kira assessment? Any advice ?

I've never done a Kira assessment. I have conducted and done a lot of interviews when soft skills are important. So my advice is to prepare the way to do for any interview. Identify examples in your life that exemplify the soft skill. There's an interview technique called STAR: Situation, Task, Action, Result. Where you describe a situation that occurs, the task required, any action that you specifically took and the result from that action.

If you want to use this method, and brainstorm/practice for interviews, start with the action step by writing down actions you've taken that illustrate a soft skill, You can then consider the full STAR around that action. For instance, I might start with "leadership"  - "when was I a leader?" Oh!: "I was told I was going to be an intern supervisor at the last minute" this ties to adaptability AND leadership! Then I build out well, what let to that happening, what action did I take (creating a structured internship experience including trainings, learning plan, etc., and the result (an intern who had both a great learning experience and created something novel for the company. 

Try to have about 2-3 scenarios for a soft skill. That gives YOU options during any assessment/interview to tailor better to any question and be more adaptable on the spot. 

Hey!

I did a Kira assessment. It was sooooooooo hard for me. Unfortunately, when I did it recently, I was brewing what turned out to be violent gastroenteritis that I thought was just nausea because I was nervous. Haha. So I might have been throw off my game big time. Who knows!

Anyway, the questions come fast, give you a bit of time to jot down info, and then it's game on. I found that I did not look at my notes at all, but I'm guessing they helped me form my responses. All in all, I walked away feeling like I did not put my best or worst foot forward and that I prefer live interviews where I can form a human connection. I did look awesome though, used the opportunity to dress fancy and get a haircut. :)

On 9/8/2023 at 10:28 PM, Mamitis said:

Heya!

DrPH applicant: JHPH Health Equity and Social Justice, Tulane, BU, Harvard.

Nervous. Excited. Gathering my LoR writers now and having conversations with them. Doing my personal statements bit by bit. 

Anyone know anyone in these programs? Trying to discern how likely I am to get in anywhere based on my experience, academics, etc. 

Good luck to everyone!

Hey! Same here! I am also nervous, excited, and exhousted after sending 4/5 applications. I applied to the BU and Harvard PhD programs. Did you apply? 

On 12/1/2023 at 9:24 PM, Qantu said:

Hey! Same here! I am also nervous, excited, and exhousted after sending 4/5 applications. I applied to the BU and Harvard PhD programs. Did you apply? 

I applied to all DrPH programs. Harvard, BU, yup!

And Hopkins. Still working on my Tulane application which is due mid January. I'm not sure if 3-4 months of waiting will feel slow or go by quickly, but it will give me some time to think for sure. Good luck!

Hi!

Finished all applications yesterday. Second time (first in 2021) applying for PhD in epi (CVD): JHSPH, Harvard, UNC, UMN, U-M Ann Arbor and Stanford.

Got ScM in epidemiology from JHU and have been working 3+ years with 8 published papers (3 first/co-first papers)+ dozens of abstracts (2 oral presentations) since graduation. Hopefully, this is the year to finally get into a program. Good luck all!

Greetings! First post here :)

Finished most of my applications, looking for someone who is also applying for Ph.D. in Health Policy-related programs.
Second-time applicant (declined WL last year due to funding), and aiming for Harvard, Wharton (HCM & Econ), USC (Health Econ), UNC, U-M Ann Arbor, and Yale.

MS from JHU as well (Hi @YiL), worked for Johns Hopkins for nearly 5 years, 3 publications & 1 upcoming single-authored next March.
Hope to end the long detour and start climbing the academic ladder soon. Wish you all on the forum the best of luck!

Can somebody give me their perspectives on this issue regarding PhD applications.  I grossly under-estimated my years of fulltime research experience going by the way the schools asked that such experience be calculated. I just realized it upon revisiting my application.

I am disturbed about it. I stated over 1 year, while I should have said something like 3 years. Will that weaken my application?  I am also not sure whether first-author book chapter publications count as part of peer-review publications. Can someone clarify for me, please? Thanks in advance

Longtime lurker first time poster - anxiously awaiting decisions! Can we fast forward to March?

Undergrad GPA around 2.9, MPH GPA around 3.6. 6+ years of experience, a few publications, and conference presentations. 

Applied to the following online programs:

- GWU (submitted interview video/recording)

- UIC

- JHU, HPM + Bloomberg Fellows Addiction/Overdose

- Tulane

- USF, Advanced Practice Leadership

I've been planning a DrPH for so long it's surreal to think I'll (hopefully) be starting somewhere in 2024. 

On 12/3/2023 at 12:47 AM, Mamitis said:

I applied to all DrPH programs. Harvard, BU, yup!

And Hopkins. Still working on my Tulane application which is due mid January. I'm not sure if 3-4 months of waiting will feel slow or go by quickly, but it will give me some time to think for sure. Good luck!

I applied to DrPH programs too ! Good luck! I am nervous about waiting! Is this the first time you have applied? 

9 hours ago, Public health grl said:

I applied to DrPH programs too ! Good luck! I am nervous about waiting! Is this the first time you have applied? 

Yes!  First time applying. I've contemplated the DrPH for 7 years or so even before I finished my MPH. Fingers crossed! I think the nervousness may grow come February, as the decisions approach. We shall see.

10 hours ago, Mamitis said:

Yes!  First time applying. I've contemplated the DrPH for 7 years or so even before I finished my MPH. Fingers crossed! I think the nervousness may grow come February, as the decisions approach. We shall see.

WOW, that’s so great. And  Same! First time applying Columbia , Harvard and a few others. Fingers crossed through this waiting game! I am so anxious.

I’ve been focused on epi research currently at Columbia looking to transition more into practice! 

Hey everyone! Looking for some advice. 

I just got an accepted to a PhD in Epidemiology! The work at this school seems really exciting and my potential PI is very nice. I'm elated to have received such an early acceptance. Although-they want a $500 deposit by end of January. This is way too soon and a lot of money. I will have likely not have a decision from any other schools at this point.  Does anybody know how to handle this? Would asking for an extension work? I could risk it and pay the money- but if I then decide to decline I am leading on my PI and wasting a spot for a different candidate and I'd hate to do that. Any advice?