PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

On 1/8/2024 at 12:22 PM, Anairam said:

Thank you!! It's for the Ph.D. in Population, Family, and Reproductive Health!

Congrats. Anyone heard from Epi department yet?

I just got an interview day request from Brown! It will take place on January 24th- it does include other departments outside of epi, including SBS, biostat, and health services research. I got a note from the department of epi, so I’m sure they are sending them out piece wise and by department. 

6 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

I just got an interview day request from Brown! It will take place on January 24th- it does include other departments outside of epi, including SBS, biostat, and health services research. I got a note from the department of epi, so I’m sure they are sending them out piece wise and by department. 

Hi @manifesthb congrats!!! Thanks for letting us know! So you applied for the Ph.D. in epi, right? Just want to make sure I got that right.  

27 minutes ago, Anairam said:

Social, Behavioral, and Population Sciences - Tulane

Behavioral and Social Health Sciences - Brown

How about you?

International Health and Sustainable Development - Tulane 

Didn't apply to brown. Have you heard back from anyone else?

5 minutes ago, Behavioralsci98 said:

Congrats to the Epi people who have heard from Brown! Looking back at last year, I believe Epi heard back on Tuesday and BSHS heard on Friday… so I’d imagine the programs will notify those who got interviews any time this week. 

Thanks for sharing that, @Behavioralsci98. Did you also apply for the BSHS program?

3 minutes ago, Behavioralsci98 said:

Yes I did! And I am super anxious because I still haven’t heard from anywhere I applied yet lol

I'm really anxious, too. Will you please post about it here when you get your invite? :) 

Gave my UNC interview on the 10th- I’m waiting to hear back from other schools as one of the others is my dream school (Harvard PhD cancer epidemiology) . Heart palpitations are real- and I’m like: “get yourself together buddy!! You’re literally about to embark on a PhD!!? Regulate yourself 😭😅🥺. “

Edited by Ikigai1896

2 hours ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Gave my UNC interview on the 10th- I’m waiting to hear back from other schools as one of the others is my dream school (Harvard PhD cancer epidemiology) . Heart palpitations are real- and I’m like: “get yourself together buddy!! You’re literally about to embark on a PhD!!? Regulate yourself 😭😅🥺. “

I feel you! When I submitted my applications, I felt so at peace. Now that there is a trickle of info, and schools are on the move toward selection, it just got real. Having to do so much meditation. Just to keep some degree of regulation. To be human . . .

Just now, Mamitis said:

I feel you! When I submitted my applications, I felt so at peace. Now that there is a trickle of info, and schools are on the move toward selection, it just got real. Having to do so much meditation. Just to keep some degree of regulation. To be human . . .

Meditation !! Yes. Cuddles with my family dog.. and Neville Goddards law of assumption. Besides all of that seriously trying to surrender :) what is meant to happen in our best interest, will happen!!! ❤️

Hi everyone! Did anyone apply for the PhD in Epidemiology program in the University of Pittsburgh ? There are two acceptances and one rejection on GradCafe but I haven't received any updates yet... Submitted on 11/25/2023. Are the materials reviewed on a rolling basis??

random update, but I just finished by NYU Grossman School of Medicine PhD interview for Population Health and it was BRUTAL. It is hard not to walk away feeling so scared and unsure. When speaking about my research experiences they were straightfaced and just incredibly hard to read. Some of my conversations, probably a majority were amazing... but the research talk is like haunting me.

If anyone else interviewed for this program, would love to hear of your experience. If you didn't maybe give me some words of encouragement or reassurance that other interviews you have had have also gone like thia 

6 minutes ago, PublicHealthBarbie said:

random update, but I just finished by NYU Grossman School of Medicine PhD interview for Population Health and it was BRUTAL. It is hard not to walk away feeling so scared and unsure. When speaking about my research experiences they were straightfaced and just incredibly hard to read. Some of my conversations, probably a majority were amazing... but the research talk is like haunting me.

If anyone else interviewed for this program, would love to hear of your experience. If you didn't maybe give me some words of encouragement or reassurance that other interviews you have had have also gone like thia 

I didn't apply for NYU but I work in Grossman School of Medicine as a data analyst. Still waiting for interview invitation. What's your area of research? Whom did you imply as potential mentor? I work in Center for Surgical & Transplant Applied Research and faculties there are very friendly. The working experience is pretty good here and the school maintains a very diverse cohort. Don't worry, some people they just look serious. I remember a faculty back in JHU who is a really good person, but she scared my friend during a job interview especially when she asked about his research experience. It turned out she is just serious when it comes to research. I also know someone who smiles during your interview but gives a bad feedback. So just relax and be yourself.

22 minutes ago, PublicHealthBarbie said:

I’m sure it went well! Sometimes we’re in our heads and rethinking of the perfect answers and trying to gauge feedback on facial expressions. Have confidence that you did your best!

10 hours ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Congrats on your UNC interview!

3 hours ago, MiggyMigs said:

Applied to UC-Berkeley, Harvard, and Boston U. Invited to interview with BU later this month. I know it’s not an acceptance but I did cry a little when I saw my email earlier today :’)

Congrats on your BU interview! I hear you, I am also getting emotional with my interviews and very nervous because they start tomorrow morning =S

May I ask if there is an application portal for BU? I also applied to BU and I am concerned I might have deleted one of their emails.