PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

1 hour ago, PhDGorl24 said:

Hi all! I have applied to Harvard, BU, Brown, UIC, JHU, and UMich for a PhD in Epi. I have not heard anything from any of the schools about interviews. I am wondering at what point I start to take the silence and lack of interviews as a rejection. Is it still early or is that just wishful thinking. 

Hi! Don't be discouraged. I know Harvard and JHU have started to send invitations. I heard of people being accepted without an interview. So, I think there are no strict rules regarding interviews. Wish you all the best during this process. Let's stay positive until the end 😃

It looks like the programs will decide between February and March, and the very last decisions are made in April. 

5 minutes ago, Qantu said:

Yay! Happy for you! Which track did you choose? I chose cancer epi. 

Me too!!!! Cancer epi as well!! I noticed 10 half hour slots (and each interview being 25 mins means 10 people out of maybe 1000??).. which means that we all need to congratulate ourselves for making it this far REGARDLESS. I’m proud of you!!!!! And I’m proud of everyone else here who scored an interview!! You’re all the crème de la crème 🧿🙏

2 minutes ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Me too!!!! Cancer epi as well!! I noticed 10 half hour slots (and each interview being 25 mins means 10 people out of maybe 1000??).. which means that we all need to congratulate ourselves for making it this far REGARDLESS. I’m proud of you!!!!! And I’m proud of everyone else here who scored an interview!! You’re all the crème de la crème 🧿🙏

Hey! I didn't realize that! Also, we could be in the same cohort! Hope we both do well in the interview! Rooting for you!

Hi! I applied to PhD in general epi at Johns Hopkins, but I haven't received an interview invite yet. Saw someone got an interview for the same track in the result section. Does anybody know if I still have the chance to get interviewed? By the way, anyone hear from Boston University yet? 

On 1/11/2024 at 12:04 PM, PublicHealthBarbie said:

random update, but I just finished by NYU Grossman School of Medicine PhD interview for Population Health and it was BRUTAL. It is hard not to walk away feeling so scared and unsure. When speaking about my research experiences they were straightfaced and just incredibly hard to read. Some of my conversations, probably a majority were amazing... but the research talk is like haunting me.

If anyone else interviewed for this program, would love to hear of your experience. If you didn't maybe give me some words of encouragement or reassurance that other interviews you have had have also gone like thia 

Congrats on getting the interview!! I interviewed with my current boss three years ago and I had the same feelings as you did. He looked super serious and asked hard questions that I didn't know the answers to. I left the interview feeling bad. However, I still got the job, and after working with him for 3 years, I gotta say he's the best boss ever! He never appeared to be that dead serious anymore so I guess he happened to have a rough day when he interviewed me or it was me who was so nervous that everything appeared serious from my perspective, which is not necessarily the reality. 

I also had a "bad" interview last year for a DrPH program during which the interviewers were playing hardball but I still got an offer! 

I hope my experiences make you feel better, and I can't wait to hear good news from you!

I got my first acceptance!
IU Bloomington School of Public Health - Health Behavior Program

-

-

I feel like this is the first time in months that I can breathe, just having an offer on the table... Sending positive vibes to everyone, I feel confident we will start to hear from more people this week and next.

Edited by PublicHealthBarbie

13 minutes ago, PublicHealthBarbie said:

-

-

I feel like this is the first time in months that I can breathe, just having an offer on the table... Sending positive vibes to ev eryone, I feel confident we will start to hear from more people this week and next.

Wow! Congratulations! This is a huge accomplishment and so early in the application process. Proud of you!

I got an interview invite from Berkeley IDI PhD two weeks ago, I was wondering what's the post-interview acceptance rate gonna look like? It's an incredibly small program I'm not sure if a lot of people have heard about it. 

It's an in-person interview with costs reimbursed and seems like they have quite a lot of social events lined up for us to meet the faculty and current students.

Edited by catbug

26 minutes ago, PinkPanther0808 said:

Hi! Was it from a specific PI or from the department?

14 hours ago, MaxPlanck said:

Has anyone heard back from GW SBS?

Hi, good luck!! I also got an interview request for this week, from a professor I noted in my application. Please let me know if you have any tips, first interview so I'm super nervous.

2 hours ago, PublicHealthBarbie said:

-

-

I feel like this is the first time in months that I can breathe, just having an offer on the table... Sending positive vibes to everyone, I feel confident we will start to hear from more people this week and next.

Congratulations!!! This is such great news! Happy for you!

52 minutes ago, PH1234 said:

Hi, good luck!! I also got an interview request for this week, from a professor I noted in my application. Please let me know if you have any tips, first interview so I'm super nervous.

Hey! You’ve got this! When I interviewed with Temple, I prepped by going over the materials I submitted with my app. I also made sure I was up to date with the PI’s research and had some questions prepped. 

2 hours ago, PublicHealthBarbie said:

-

-

Congradulations! I also applied to this program. May I ask if you recieved any interview from this program?

Hi all, am I the only one who finds these all day interview events a bit inconsiderate? With the line of work I am in, especially in Q1, there are tons of deadlines and meetings that have been booked months in advance. Schools have reached out and asked me to block out an entire day of work (barely a week in advance) for an all day interview. It seems so strange to do this at the interview stage too, like what do you need to know for 8 hours. Any thoughts on this? Sorry for the rant 

21 hours ago, cpkepi said:

Hi! I applied to PhD in general epi at Johns Hopkins, but I haven't received an interview invite yet. Saw someone got an interview for the same track in the result section. Does anybody know if I still have the chance to get interviewed? By the way, anyone hear from Boston University yet? 

Hey! I am interviewing with them this Friday but it seems like they are interviewing well into next week based on the schedule they provided (1/25)

16 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

Hi all, am I the only one who finds these all day interview events a bit inconsiderate? With the line of work I am in, especially in Q1, there are tons of deadlines and meetings that have been booked months in advance. Schools have reached out and asked me to block out an entire day of work (barely a week in advance) for an all day interview. It seems so strange to do this at the interview stage too, like what do you need to know for 8 hours. Any thoughts on this? Sorry for the rant 

Hey! I hear you. I had one interview, and it was only an hour long, but I really had to fit my schedule around the interviewers' schedule on a super busy day for me--one I normally only work a half day for because I'm sort of "on stage" facilitating and teaching all morning. I did it, but the ball is really in their court. I'm not sure if they'd care for feedback . . .