PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

I applied to Hopkins, Brown, BU, Harvard, Michigan, and UIC for a PhD in Epi. I got an email from Hopkins saying interview offers are being extended but I have not recieved one but I have heard that others have (CONGRATS!!!). Has anyone heard anything from any of these schools?

16 minutes ago, PhDGorl24 said:

I applied to Hopkins, Brown, BU, Harvard, Michigan, and UIC for a PhD in Epi. I got an email from Hopkins saying interview offers are being extended but I have not recieved one but I have heard that others have (CONGRATS!!!). Has anyone heard anything from any of these schools?

Hi! What track did you apply to? I haven’t heard anything yet (Hopkins)

Just now, manifesthb said:

Hi! What track did you apply to? I haven’t heard anything yet (Hopkins)

I applied to the PhD in Epi and got an email basically saying that they are entering stage 2 of the application review but it seem like it was specifically for the Epi Phd applicants. Which track did you apply to?

3 minutes ago, PhDGorl24 said:

I applied to the PhD in Epi and got an email basically saying that they are entering stage 2 of the application review but it seem like it was specifically for the Epi Phd applicants. Which track did you apply to?

I applied to general epi/methods epi track! I haven’t seen other folks within other tracks (CVD, genetic, ID, etc) within epi get any interviews yet but maybe I’m missing something on the forums. Is stage 2 interviews then 3 offer extension?

18 hours ago, Qantu said:

Thanks! PhD PHS Epidemiology

Hi Qantu! Congrats on your interview :) I also suggest pulling out key parts of your work that directly correlate to the direction of research that your faculty mentor does. You’ve made it through the tough part of getting the interview and now they are assessing fit. 

Which epi program are you interviewing for under PHS? Maternal, pharmaco?

Edited by manifesthb

36 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

Hi Qantu! Congrats on your interview :) I also suggest pulling out key parts of your work that directly correlate to the direction of research that your faculty mentor does. You’ve made it through the tough part of getting the interview and now they are assessing fit. 

Thanks a lot! All the advice I could get is very well appreciated 🤗

I got another interview for Duke in the same day and I am freaking out for not messing it up 🫠 I heard things could be more difficult for international applicants like me because we can't be financed by the most common funding sources. 

You are also applying to PhDs in Epi, right? Whish you all the best.

1 hour ago, manifesthb said:

I applied to general epi/methods epi track! I haven’t seen other folks within other tracks (CVD, genetic, ID, etc) within epi get any interviews yet but maybe I’m missing something on the forums. Is stage 2 interviews then 3 offer extension?

I believe so. I think we are on the same track so best of luck to you!!😄

38 minutes ago, lynn_ said:

Congrats!!! 

Did you receive an email?

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am unfamiliar with the process do they send out interview requests all at once or do they trickle out? Congratulations on your request! I am also waiting to hear from Harvard DrPH.

14 minutes ago, Bostondrph said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am unfamiliar with the process do they send out interview requests all at once or do they trickle out? Congratulations on your request! I am also waiting to hear from Harvard DrPH.

I am unfamiliar with the process too... unfortunately I haven't heard back from anyone yet

1 hour ago, Mamitis said:

Invited to an interview for the Harvard DrPH in the next week or two. Glad to have the chance of interviewing them. :)

Yay! Wishing you the best!

2 hours ago, Bostondrph said:

I have no idea how the interview requests work. The email didn't say much about the process itself like how many interviews or if it means that candidates made it to a next round. Nothing like that.

2 hours ago, Public health grl said:

Congratulations! And good luck! Was it from admission or a faculty member? 

It was from admissions linking me to two faculty members.

1 hour ago, Qantu said:

Yay! Wishing you the best!

Thank you! So many feels!

4 hours ago, manifesthb said:

Sorry! I think I forgot to answer your last question. I am interviewing for the PhD Epi with specialization in cancer.

9 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

I have no idea how the interview requests work. The email didn't say much about the process itself like how many interviews or if it means that candidates made it to a next round. Nothing like that.

It was from admissions linking me to two faculty members.

Thank you! So many feels!

Thanks for providing info! And congrats again!! I hope I am not being annoying just curious was it connecting to DrPH faculty or did you mention any of the two faculty in your app?

5 minutes ago, Public health grl said:

Thanks for providing info! And congrats again!! I hope I am not being annoying just curious was it connecting to DrPH faculty or did you mention any of the two faculty in your app?

Hey! Please keep the questions coming. We need to support one another with info!

I’m not quite sure I understand the question. I did not mention any faculty in my application. From my understanding, the two faculty members who will conduct the interview are on the admissions committee. 

7 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

Hey! Please keep the questions coming. We need to support one another with info!

I’m not quite sure I understand the question. I did not mention any faculty in my application. From my understanding, the two faculty members who will conduct the interview are on the admissions committee. 

Loved what you said! Yes, let's stay positive and support one another during this process. @Public health grl I am not applying to the DrPh program but this info could be useful. I mentioned a couple of faculty in my application, but none of them approached me with an interview invitation. The invitations I got were from other faculty in the program and they mentioned they wanted to evaluate whether my research interests aligned with the program. Let's stay positive! My current mentor mentioned she was waitlisted at Harvard without getting an interview and was accepted at another university without an interview.

16 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

Ahh okay, I mentioned faculty but had spoke to both that I mentioned so I was curious if others did. But Staying positive this was helpful thanks so much for the support!! If you don’t mind sharing what’s your public health focus? Mine is Global Suicide Prevention/ psychiatric Epi.

3 minutes ago, Qantu said:

Loved what you said! Yes, let's stay positive and support one another during this process. @Public health grl I am not applying to the DrPh program but this info could be useful. I mentioned a couple of faculty in my application, but none of them approached me with an interview invitation. The invitations I got were from other faculty in the program and they mentioned they wanted to evaluate whether my research interests aligned with the program. Let's stay positive! My current mentor mentioned she was waitlisted at Harvard without getting an interview and was accepted at another university without an interview.

Thanks for this insight! It feels like there’s no set pattern to predict how the admission committee works, even between the DrPh or PhD! Good-luck rooting for everyone!!!

7 minutes ago, Public health grl said:

Ahh okay, I mentioned faculty but had spoke to both that I mentioned so I was curious if others did. But Staying positive this was helpful thanks so much for the support!! If you don’t mind sharing what’s your public health focus? Mine is Global Suicide Prevention/ psychiatric Epi.

Thanks for this insight! It feels like there’s no set pattern to predict how the admission committee works, even between the DrPh or PhD! Good-luck rooting for everyone!!!

My DrPH applications focus on building a statewide theory of change between nonprofits, major public university, and government entities toward a global approach to public health, broadly defined. 

13 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

My DrPH applications focus on building a statewide theory of change between nonprofits, major public university, and government entities toward a global approach to public health, broadly defined. 

Awesome! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!