PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

3 hours ago, MiggyMigs said:

Applied to UC-Berkeley, Harvard, and Boston U. Invited to interview with BU later this month. I know it’s not an acceptance but I did cry a little when I saw my email earlier today :’)

Congrats! Which program did you apply to for BU?

4 hours ago, MiggyMigs said:

Applied to UC-Berkeley, Harvard, and Boston U. Invited to interview with BU later this month. I know it’s not an acceptance but I did cry a little when I saw my email earlier today :’)

Congrats! Would u like to share which program you applied to? I also applied to BU but have not heard any feedback yet

10 minutes ago, lynn_ said:

Did you receive anything from Harvard?

No, I did not! Have you heard anything? I've seen results saying people had received interview invites. I applied to both. I interviewed at Harvard last year and was rejected, so I guess their decision stands firm 🤷‍♀️

5 minutes ago, PublicHealthShorty said:

No, I did not! Have you heard anything? I've seen results saying people had received interview invites. I applied to both. I interviewed at Harvard last year and was rejected, so I guess their decision stands firm 🤷‍♀️

No, I haven't heard anything yet. Which concentration did you apply to?

7 minutes ago, PublicHealthShorty said:

Do you know of anyone who's gotten into Harvard without an interview? It's unclear whether or not getting an interview is a soft rejection ;(

27 minutes ago, lynn_ said:

Did you receive anything from Harvard?

I also applied to SBS at Harvard and Epi at UNC and haven’t heard back. Does anyone know if interviews are required for both programs? 

9 minutes ago, phdpublichealthsbs said:

Do you know of anyone who's gotten into Harvard without an interview? It's unclear whether or not getting an interview is a soft rejection ;(

I am curious about this too! I’ve only heard one current student mention the interview when I reached out to a few last fall, others never mentioned it.

52 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

I just got an interview John’s Hopkins general epi track! 

Anyone applied for CVD track got interview yet?

2 hours ago, YiL said:

Anyone applied for CVD track got interview yet?

I applied to CVD at UNC. Nothing so far. Their admissions office did say they are sending out offers right now until late March.

hi all- seeking some interview advice here. I have a few interviews with professors coming up and panel interviews (I’ve never done panels). Some of the professors I’m interviewing with don’t have alignment with my interests (they seem to be directors of the program- on my app, I listed other professors in that department). How do you suggest going about this? Yes, I know to talk genuinely about my interests, goals, etc. but, in terms of relating to the interviewers, what should be the game plan?

I should have had a second interview with X university today, but the interviewer never showed up. I sent a follow up email and I am still waiting to know from the interviewer.

Anyone heard/had of a similar situation? What could it mean? My first interview for the same program also ended earlier (half of the time) than expected and the interviewer didnt talk much and was very difficult to read. In my short experience, interviews are being brutal 😭

11 hours ago, manifesthb said:

hi all- seeking some interview advice here. I have a few interviews with professors coming up and panel interviews (I’ve never done panels). Some of the professors I’m interviewing with don’t have alignment with my interests (they seem to be directors of the program- on my app, I listed other professors in that department). How do you suggest going about this? Yes, I know to talk genuinely about my interests, goals, etc. but, in terms of relating to the interviewers, what should be the game plan?

Hey! I just did some interview prep with folks from my institution. It was wonderfully helpful. Review all your application materials. See if you can get someone to ask you clarifying questions about what you wrote. And then make sure you explain or assess the familiarity with your interests to the interviewers. You may need to educate them on aspects of your ideas. Panels can be uncomfortable. Especially if everyone feels impersonal or stone faced. But stick with it! It’s so hard to read people in that setting, so it’s better to lean into what got you the interview in the first place.