PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

Hello everyone!! Happy to be here and thanks for creating this group… I send all of us good energies for this cycle!! I have applied for a PhD in epi programs in top east coast schools and finishing up my app for Cambridge (the only Europe school)… pretty late to this group but better late than never!! Happy holidays ❤️

20 hours ago, PublicHealthShorty said:

Hey everyone! Looking for some advice. 

I just got an accepted to a PhD in Epidemiology! The work at this school seems really exciting and my potential PI is very nice. I'm elated to have received such an early acceptance. Although-they want a $500 deposit by end of January. This is way too soon and a lot of money. I will have likely not have a decision from any other schools at this point.  Does anybody know how to handle this? Would asking for an extension work? I could risk it and pay the money- but if I then decide to decline I am leading on my PI and wasting a spot for a different candidate and I'd hate to do that. Any advice? 

I had typed this whole thing and submitted it but idk where it went! I’ll try to recreate it..

firslty CONGRATS!! this is the earliest I’ve heard of a PhD admit and I can only imagine what an incredible fit you must be!! Start with a nice pat on the back. Now for the decision- I would say keep the “pay 500$ then withdraw” as the absolute last resort. It doesn’t reflect well.. the number 1 thing to do is keep an open line of communication- explain the situation, talk about weighing options is important for a commitment like PhD and you’d like to wait a little longer to make your decision. At the same time reflect on how important this school is in your list- is this a top school for you? Or do you feel like saying yes because you’re afraid of other options falling through - if the latter then hold back from committing . Remember, use the same instinct and intuition that got you HERE in the first place 🧿 you got this!!

Edited by Ikigai1896

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Public health grl said:

Waiting for DrPH decisions. Has anyone heard anything yet?

4 hours ago, lynn_ said:

Did anyone hear back from schools ?

Nothing yet on my end. I know the schools I'm applying to aren't slated to send decisions for another 5-10 weeks, but I'm also not sure if these schools are doing interviews . . .

Anyone hear anything from DrPH programs about interviews or acceptances? Curious like Lynn_ and Public Health grl. 

3 hours ago, Cm2223 said:

Hi! Does anyone know if Harvard is doing interviews this year for the DrPH or if the Kira assessment has replaced interviews? 

I am not sure, I know from speaking to past students they did interviews last year. I am so anxious waiting!

12 minutes ago, lynn_ said:

Did anyone get an interview invitation from Hopkins?

4 minutes ago, Anairam said:

I did!

WOW!!!! Congratulations!!!! Are these for PhD or DrPH programs or both?

I'm so excited for you!!!

4 minutes ago, lynn_ said:

Congrats! Which program?

4 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

WOW!!!! Congratulations!!!! Are these for PhD or DrPH programs or both?

I'm so excited for you!!!

Thank you!! It's for the Ph.D. in Population, Family, and Reproductive Health!

6 hours ago, Public health grl said:

I am not sure, I know from speaking to past students they did interviews last year. I am so anxious waiting!

I did receive an invitation for an interview today with an Epi faculty. Any suggestions? This is my first time applying.

Just now, Qantu said:

Thanks! PhD PHS Epidemiology

Awesome! I currently do research at Columbia Epi with faculty, I am applying to DrPH programs.  I would say express your interest in the Epi topic you’re focusing on and be specific about why the program is best for you and your topic of interest.