PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

11 hours ago, manifesthb said:

hi all- seeking some interview advice here. I have a few interviews with professors coming up and panel interviews (I’ve never done panels). Some of the professors I’m interviewing with don’t have alignment with my interests (they seem to be directors of the program- on my app, I listed other professors in that department). How do you suggest going about this? Yes, I know to talk genuinely about my interests, goals, etc. but, in terms of relating to the interviewers, what should be the game plan?

Are you applying for a PhD? I work with faculty in the Epi department at an Ivy. When they do PhD interviews it doesn’t matter much that the subject matter interest is different. What matters is that you align with department goals , and connect your interest to that. For example for  Epi  they like hearing about experience in stats and interest to advance and apply statistical expertise to subject matter. Maybe check what the interviewers teach, you might be able to connect on a core competency they focus on that is important and useful for obtaining a doctorate! Good luck!

Edited by Public health grl

1 hour ago, Qantu said:

I should have had a second interview with X university today, but the interviewer never showed up. I sent a follow up email and I am still waiting to know from the interviewer.

Anyone heard/had of a similar situation? What could it mean? My first interview for the same program also ended earlier (half of the time) than expected and the interviewer didnt talk much and was very difficult to read. In my short experience, interviews are being brutal 😭

I wouldn’t read too much into it- because this is out of your control.. the important thing to do at this time is look ahead and not back.. like someone else mentioned on this thread: what is meant for you will not pass you by!!😊

21 hours ago, PublicHealthShorty said:

Looks like Harvard and UNC interview invites are out? Does anybody know if this is for all tracks?

When you say interview invites are out, are you referring to the DrPH program or the PhDs. I think PhD programs for most schools are sending our interviews but very confused abt the DrPH process. 

8 hours ago, EnvHEpi said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia EHS or Berkeley or San Diego Epi or Northeastern PHS?

I applied to Columbia Epi this year (my interests in at the intersection of EHS and environmental epi) but last year I applied to EHS. I haven't heard anything this year, but I attended the in-person interview day and the invites went out later than most other programs, around the week of 01/20. 

24 minutes ago, andrewsethna said:

When you say interview invites are out, are you referring to the DrPH program or the PhDs. I think PhD programs for most schools are sending our interviews but very confused abt the DrPH process. 

Thanks for this, Andrew Seth a. I’m a bit confused, too. But I know some Harvard DrPH interviews are being scheduled. Anyone know about BU DrPH? I think I’ve read that Hopkins DrPH doesn’t do routine interviews? Can anyone confirm?

1 minute ago, Mamitis said:

Thanks for this, Andrew Seth a. I’m a bit confused, too. But I know some Harvard DrPH interviews are being scheduled. Anyone know about BU DrPH? I think I’ve read that Hopkins DrPH doesn’t do routine interviews? Can anyone confirm?

Ah okay. so if DRPH interviews are being sent out to multiple people for Harvard, I think it's safe to assume that the interview process is part of the admissions round. Do you know others who've gotten interviews? I think you said you have right?

10 minutes ago, andrewsethna said:

Ah okay. so if DRPH interviews are being sent out to multiple people for Harvard, I think it's safe to assume that the interview process is part of the admissions round. Do you know others who've gotten interviews? I think you said you have right?

Yes, that's right. I have an interview this coming week. I don't know anyone else though. I heard from a previous graduate that Harvard does two rounds of interviews, but I'm not sure what that entails. I was told that all interviews (in round 1?) must be completed by the end of January. 

2 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

Yes, that's right. I have an interview this coming week. I don't know anyone else though. I heard from a previous graduate that Harvard does two rounds of interviews, but I'm not sure what that entails. I was told that all interviews (in round 1?) must be completed by the end of January. 

Thank you for this helpful information. Good luck on your interview, i'm confident that you'll ace it. If you don't mind, can you let us know how it went and if you're able to gauge if the 1 or 2 interviews are a mandatory part of determining prospective candidates. That way, I'll know earlier if I did not get into the program, and make my decisions for other schools. I just received an interview from the University of Toronto, and it seems like I must make a decision on my application before I officially hear back from the Harvard DrPH based on their timelines. 

Edited by andrewsethna
grammar

1 hour ago, andrewsethna said:

Thank you for this helpful information. Good luck on your interview, i'm confident that you'll ace it. If you don't mind, can you let us know how it went and if you're able to gauge if the 1 or 2 interviews are a mandatory part of determining prospective candidates. That way, I'll know earlier if I did not get into the program, and make my decisions for other schools. I just received an interview from the University of Toronto, and it seems like I must make a decision on my application before I officially hear back from the Harvard DrPH based on their timelines. 

I'll surely let you know my impressions. Thank you for the kindness. My hope is to present my aspirations and grounded dreams to the best of my ability and to assess whether or not it is a good fit for me. A big deep breath.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:38 PM, Qantu said:

Congrats on your BU interview! I hear you, I am also getting emotional with my interviews and very nervous because they start tomorrow morning =S

May I ask if there is an application portal for BU? I also applied to BU and I am concerned I might have deleted one of their emails. 

Thank you so much! I received the invite for interview via email. I do not believe they have an applicant portal. This is for their DrPH program, btw.

1 minute ago, MiggyMigs said:

Thank you so much! I received the invite for interview via email. I do not believe they have an applicant portal. This is for their DrPH program, btw.

Thanks a lot for clarifying that!

On 1/12/2024 at 12:11 AM, Allegra98 said:

Congrats! Would u like to share which program you applied to? I also applied to BU but have not heard any feedback yet

Thank you so much! I applied to their DrPH program.

On 1/11/2024 at 11:02 PM, EnvHEpi said:

Congrats! Which program did you apply to for BU?

On 1/12/2024 at 12:11 AM, Allegra98 said:

Congrats! Would u like to share which program you applied to? I also applied to BU but have not heard any feedback yet

Thank you so much! I applied to Boston U's DrPH program :)

Does anyone know if the PhD in PHS (SBS) at Harvard requires interviews? If anyone has been invited to interview and can reply that would be super helpful! The website says that they are "neither necessary nor guaranteed" but not sure if that's just for external comms! Thanks and best of luck, all :)

Edited by epigirly

Hi all! I have applied to Harvard, BU, Brown, UIC, JHU, and UMich for a PhD in Epi. I have not heard anything from any of the schools about interviews. I am wondering at what point I start to take the silence and lack of interviews as a rejection. Is it still early or is that just wishful thinking.