Addressing seeming lack of focus in SOP

I have transcripts from four undergraduate institutions, which I'm afraid makes me seem impulsive and uncommitted, which is very much not the case.

My transcripts:

1- From taking Syracuse U. courses through my H.S.

2- From my first undergrad college- I decided to transfer AFTER application season in need of a greater academic challenge

3- From the local university I attended while applying to a college that better fit me academically.

4- From my degree granting institution.

Furthermore, academically I was all over the board, lots of dance, theater and random science courses that are completely unrelated to medieval literature. And I am weak in the language area.

Do I use the SOP to discuss how I've been supplementing my language skills with individual study? Or explain my 4 transcripts, which make me appear unfocused, when the case is quite the opposite? Do I try to put a spin on how varied coursework will aid in interdisciplinary work within medieval studies, or should I not draw further attention to it?

Applications would be so much easier if I had known all along that this is what I want to do. Thanks for your advice!

Do I use the SOP to discuss how I've been supplementing my language skills with individual study?

Yes, especially if they're relevant to medieval (e.g. relevant vernacular, Latin, French, German). But keep in mind that schools *strongly* prefer documentation of language skills--use of the language in your writing sample; SAT II score, coursework, etc. I(Especially the first. If you're working with a medieval text, you should almost certainly be quoting it in its original language, or at least, the language of the earliest surviving copy. This may not be as critical for MA programs as PhD ones, which generally want you to have a solid grasp of the languages you will need). If you've been working with a tutor, perhaps you could get her to write a supplemental LOR to attest to your new language skills, or maybe you have a prof who is aware of it and could mention it in the LOR she's writing. Programs, on the whole, tend to be very suspicious of the "language auto-didact."

Do I try to put a spin on how varied coursework will aid in interdisciplinary work within medieval studies, or should I not draw further attention to it?

Well, *will* it aid you? Don't force anything. But if you, say, wrote a paper for a theater class on medieval mystery plays,you can use that as evidence for your passion for the Middle Ages, and how you pursued it even in non-literature classes. Unless you can pull it off really, really well, don't try a chemistry-alchemy cutesy switchy thing. ;) (Hmm...unless alchemy texts are your main interest?) In my SOP I pretty much ignored the fact that I have a BA in African politics. My [current] program didn't seem to mind. :D

And about a 'mixed' record: I'm studying medieval history/lit with a whopping total of 5 classes, from four years of undergrad and two years of a master's degree, that had anything to do with the Middle Ages. Not to mention transcripts from four schools as well. So don't feel so bad. :)

Edited by Sparky

I could have been viewed, and probably will be viewed as a floater to some based on attending 3 schools. I do have legit reasons for this, but I chose to only address it partially in my SoP in my intro. There I told a true story where I put the context of being a major in something else at a different university into focus and related it to where I am now. I'm not going to devote a paragraph to it because it seems like excuse making. Just write a kick butt SoP showing lots of depth for the field you want to enter into and what it is you want to do.

My take.

Address it once in passing I guess....but find a clever way to do it.

Some places where I am applying you need to address the professor. It's all about who has money because in the end that person will be the one who says I want him/her. If the larger program has a few people focusing on like issues I'll articulate like you did.

1- From taking Syracuse U. courses through my H.S.

I also took courses at a local university during high school, but have decided not to include transcripts from that institution. I asked some schools/departments directly, and most agreed that they didn't need to see a transcript. The transcript from the institution where I received my BA makes mention of those courses (because it gave me half credit for them) but they're not strictly related to anything I'll be doing in grad school (with the exception of a French course...but I've taken much more advanced French classes since then so it still isn't very crucial) so it's not really a big deal, you know? I guess you could send the oldest transcript anyway, but if you're worried about overwhelming them, it couldn't hurt to ask if they actually want it.

I wouldn't worry about the multiple transcripts making you seem "unfocused;" in fact, you could easily couch your "non-traditional" path in terms of your determination to seek out what fit you best, challenge yourself, blahblahblah.