Importance of Verbal Score for Bio.Sci.

DRT23

Hello,

I'm new in this forum and believe here are lots of helpful people. My question is that: I took my GRE general test yesterday and my unoffical scores are 390 V and 800 Q. I hope to get at least a 4.0 on the writing section. As you can see, my verbal is low and I concern how much important my verbal score for application to PhD's in biological sciences. By the way, English is not my mother tongue and this is the reason why I got that low on the verbal.

I am waiting for your comments. Thank you.

Hello,

I'm new in this forum and believe here are lots of helpful people. My question is that: I took my GRE general test yesterday and my unoffical scores are 390 V and 800 Q. I hope to get at least a 4.0 on the writing section. As you can see, my verbal is low and I concern how much important my verbal score for application to PhD's in biological sciences. By the way, English is not my mother tongue and this is the reason why I got that low on the verbal.

I am waiting for your comments. Thank you.

Hi DRT,

Your verbal score is on the low side, even for an international PhD applicant. Many programs seem to have a soft cut-off between 1100 and 1300 (depending on the competitiveness of the program), so your GRE scores will be cutting it close, especially for fellowship considerations (or so I've heard). If you have the time and money, you should retake the GRE and try to raise your verbal score (a good reference for words is http://supervoca.net/grelist.cgi).

Good luck!

waddle

Hi DRT,

Your verbal score is on the low side, even for an international PhD applicant. Many programs seem to have a soft cut-off between 1100 and 1300 (depending on the competitiveness of the program), so your GRE scores will be cutting it close, especially for fellowship considerations (or so I've heard). If you have the time and money, you should retake the GRE and try to raise your verbal score (a good reference for words is http://supervoca.net/grelist.cgi).

Good luck!

waddle

Thank you, waddle. Unfortunately, I don't have any more time to retake the test. I am planning to explain that my verbal is low because of very difficult vocabulary and that my Toefl score is an evidence of my fluency in English on my SOP. I hope this convinces the evaluation committee.

Thank you, waddle. Unfortunately, I don't have any more time to retake the test. I am planning to explain that my verbal is low because of very difficult vocabulary and that my Toefl score is an evidence of my fluency in English on my SOP. I hope this convinces the evaluation committee.

Hope this works. If your TOEFL score is good, this should compensate (at least, in my view).