Quant GRE Score Necessary to Show Strength?

aoko

I'm applying for top MPP programs without a substantial number of undergrad classes in econ or math. At one open house I attended, the school said that they would expect the quant GRE score of similar applicants to "be strong" in order to show that the student would be able to handle quant classes. What do you think would be considered a "strong" quant score? MIne is exactly the average for last year's incoming class. I'm not sure if that means it's fine or if would need to be higher to off set my lack of math classes.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm applying for top MPP programs without a substantial number of undergrad classes in econ or math. At one open house I attended, the school said that they would expect the quant GRE score of similar applicants to "be strong" in order to show that the student would be able to handle quant classes. What do you think would be considered a "strong" quant score? MIne is exactly the average for last year's incoming class. I'm not sure if that means it's fine or if would need to be higher to off set my lack of math classes.

Thanks for any advice.

I think if your score is the average of the last year's incoming class, you're probably fine. I'm in sort of a similar boat. I took econ classes my freshman year and did not do well. My GRE quant score is only 10 pts above the median of one of the schools I'm applying to and the admissions officer I spoke with seemed to think that this would still demonstrate that I was capable quantitatively. If you're worried though, one way you could strengthen evidence of your quantitative abilities is by taking an econ or stat class at a local community college or online. Then, you can include supplementary information in your application that you're taking this class and can send an update of your grade once you complete the course. I was also told that sometimes schools accept applicants contingent on them completed a certain course (i.e., micro econ) prior to september. It sounds like you've taken at least one course though since you say "without a substantial number." If you did ok in it, that would also demonstrate quantitative ability. Anyway, good luck!

I agree with the previous post completely. Just to add to it, you may still show some quantitative work in courses that do not explicitly say economics or math. Perhaps you engaged in quantitatively oriented research in one of your classes? It is also true that some schools will accept applicants contingent on them taking micro/macro etc....Georgetown SFS is one, for sure (as per their website). You still have some time to take these classes, if you want to. Lastly, are you applying right from undergrad or do you have work experience? If the latter, were you engaged in any quant analysis at work?

Good luck.

I think if your score is the average of the last year's incoming class, you're probably fine. I'm in sort of a similar boat. I took econ classes my freshman year and did not do well. My GRE quant score is only 10 pts above the median of one of the schools I'm applying to and the admissions officer I spoke with seemed to think that this would still demonstrate that I was capable quantitatively. If you're worried though, one way you could strengthen evidence of your quantitative abilities is by taking an econ or stat class at a local community college or online. Then, you can include supplementary information in your application that you're taking this class and can send an update of your grade once you complete the course. I was also told that sometimes schools accept applicants contingent on them completed a certain course (i.e., micro econ) prior to september. It sounds like you've taken at least one course though since you say "without a substantial number." If you did ok in it, that would also demonstrate quantitative ability. Anyway, good luck!

Thanks for the responses! I did take a stats and a (non calculus) math class in college. I also took a semester of chemistry, which was pretty quant based (or at least felt that way to me!). I'm taking macro econ at a community college now and plan to take micro in the spring. So by the time I actually start an MPP program, I will have taken stats and 2 semesters of econ. My grades in econ just won't be available by application due dates.

I will have almost 6 years of work experience by the time I start a program, but math has never played too much of a role in my jobs. I do direct service work (case management) at a social services non profit.

My quant GRE score was a 700 (71st percentile). I got a 750 in the verbal section (99th percentile). I wish the verbal score helped but it seems like quant is by far the score admissions cares more about. I could be wrong though.

Thanks again for the advice and ideas. Good luck to everyone!