GRE for PhD in History (foreign student)

Nats

Hi,

I just passed the GRE and would like to apply for a PhD in History. I am aiming at the top 3 programs.

My scores are:

- 680 Verbal (96%)

- 770 Quant (87%)

- 5.0 Writing (84%)

I am a little bit disappointed with my writing score, since I have often read that it was better to have 5.5 or 6 in writing. On the other hand, I am not sure I could do better if given a second chance (especially since the process looks quite arbitrary to me). So basically I have 2 questions:

- to what extent would the committee take into account the fact that I am not coming from an English speaking-country ?

- do you think that it is worth taking the exam again (I have a good writing sample and Statement of purpose, and a solid academic background in my home country)

Many thanks for your help !

By no means I know what I am talking about but I believe that your GRE scores are great and you really shouldn't worry.

You are an international student and you scored 680 - this is fantastic! 5.0 analytical is also more than enough.

Perhaps I am naive but I don't think that GRE plays that big of a deal when you are applying for a Ph.D. SOP and recommendations are probably much more important.