Waitlists?

First of all, Boo waitlist.

Seriously though, is it worth it to get on Fletcher waitlist and let them toy with my emotions again, or should I take offer from Elliott? I guess I'm also wondering merits of both programs.

Thoughts?

As an ESIA alumn, I am probably biased towards GW, but I would much rather live in DC than in Mass. Plus, if you are planning on working while in school, you can't beat DC for internships and connections in the policy world.

I did my undergrad at the Elliott School, and I enjoyed my time there. There are definitely advantages to being in DC. That being said, when you start talking about grad programs, I think Fletcher certainly has the better academic program.

• 2 weeks later...

Cuban,

I was the one that called. I just dailed the "Contact Us" number from the admissions website, it was easy to find but I don't have it any more. If I don't have a letter by Tuesday I'll probably call again. I hate to bother them, but I'm positive I'm getting rejected (been rejected everywhere else) and I'd just like to get on with life.

Unfortunately, it seems that all the acceptances have been sent via e-mail. Considering I was told that Friday was the latest day for notification, it seems somewhat likely that anyone who hasn't heard is getting rejected or waitlisted by post.

I am on the waitlist of Sam Nunn School of International Affairs at Georgia Tech (PhD), is there anyone who got offer from Georgia Tech, but do not want to accept?

I heard that I am on the very top of this waitlist, if somebody reject the offer, I will have chance.

Please tell me~~

It is so hard waiting and waiting```

Dude, if you still haven't heard, I don't think it's necessarily bad. SIPA's been sending out mad late acceptances too.

Has anybody out there gotten in off the SAIS wait list (Not this year of course)? Can you really plan for grad school if you find out at the end of June earliest? Wondering if this is feasible.

Console,

Thanks, that might be true. At the very least, I made 'em think.

You situation is tough, but there are some ways you can prepare. It's about taking as much off your future plate as possible by setting up contingencies now.

First, what is your living situation? If you own, it gets complicated. If you rent, you need to speak with your landlord soon to get a feel for what will happen if you drop out of the lease. (I can give you more detailed advice on that if you need.) Relatedly, if you have deferrable school loans, learn about how to defer now and, if possible, get them set up to defer automatically in July or August. You can always un-defer if no school picks you up.

Second, you should start saving money, even if it means picking up some extra work. If you get in somewhere (and with three waitlists, your chances are decent), it's going to cost more in incidentals because you couldn't plan. It sucks, but if you don't get in anywhere, you can throw a killer party for all the people that had to listen to you whine about being on a waitlist. I know my friends deserve one.

Third, start browsing Craig's List, etc., for apartments in the relevant cities. Familiarize yourself with neighborhoods that would be good for you so you can target the search later. Keep good notes.

Lastly, start lining up buyers for stuff you might not want to move (like a car). It sounds wierd, but just ask various friends "hey, if I leave do you want this couch? How much?" You will honestly find a home for some stuff and put a little extra jingle in your step.

And for everyone else out there, I read on another board that SAIS might take as much as TWO MORE WEEKS to make these initial decisions.

Thanks for the tips Gopher.

I just got back from Peace Corps in December, so I really don't own anything that isn't foldable or made out of straw. My lease is up in June so no problems there either. The biggest thing is the prospect of at 3 more months of uncertainty. At this point, I almost feel like I need to move on with my life, emotionally more than anything. And I don't even wanna think about finding an apt during the busiest time of the year, competing with all the students enrolling in the fall.

Anyway, I guess I'm just venting really. SAIS would be a great opportunity.

Console, You can definitely find housing in DC late in the game. My SO and I first moved here in late August/early September in 2006 and didn't have any trouble. We moved a second time in early June. It's a big enough city that the academic calendar doesn't rule, and apartments and rooms are always opening up. There's also a glut of condos that are just now being completed in some great neighborhoods, and I think a fair number are going to be changed to apartments or else bought by people looking to sublet them while the housing market seesaws. Planning late sucks, but it is eminently doable here. I'm in a similar situation. I'm down to two schools, but my SO is a a bajillion med school waitlists, and he could hear anywhere between now and August. We're both going to just wait it out until we know where we'll be/if we'll be together/who's going to hold onto all of our furniture until we live together again. Ugh. I got back from Africa two years ago and with every material possession I acquire, I feel weighted down. (Who's going to take the damn food processor?) I miss being able to carry all my worldly goods on my back. Good luck!

Console,

I can totally relate. I'm still waiting on my initial decision. After I was summarily rejected from SIPA and SFS, I just stopped thinking about SAIS. I figured I was dead and let the letter come when it may. I did move on.

Now all these rumors have me excited again, and I'm really pissed at myself and SAIS. But it's nice to be back in the game, in a way...

God I hear you, I hate to get excited but this waiting sucks. Its been 3 weeks since I heard from my last school, why is SAIS taking so long?

Btw, has anyone heard no? All I see on the notifications are yes & waitlists.

God I hear you, I hate to get excited but this waiting sucks. Its been 3 weeks since I heard from my last school, why is SAIS taking so long?

Btw, has anyone heard no? All I see on the notifications are yes & waitlists.

What? You didn't hear that SAIS had a 100% acceptance/wait list rate this year? Pretty amazing.

Console,

I can totally relate. I'm still waiting on my initial decision. After I was summarily rejected from SIPA and SFS, I just stopped thinking about SAIS. I figured I was dead and let the letter come when it may. I did move on.

Now all these rumors have me excited again, and I'm really pissed at myself and SAIS. But it's nice to be back in the game, in a way...

It's nice to commiserate like this. I'll try to follow what you did initially and move on. But I had a moment of epiphany yesterday as I was walking home. Yeah I want to go to a great program and get the preparation I'll need for my career, but it's not like which school you attend is going to make or break you. I just got so caught up in this applying to grad school mess, but in the end how I spend the next two years of my life is much much more important than where I spend it. So I'm gonna stop stressing about all this so much, release the palpable tension in my body and stop being such a turd to be around. We'll see how that goes.

Console, You can definitely find housing in DC late in the game. My SO and I first moved here in late August/early September in 2006 and didn't have any trouble. We moved a second time in early June. It's a big enough city that the academic calendar doesn't rule, and apartments and rooms are always opening up. There's also a glut of condos that are just now being completed in some great neighborhoods, and I think a fair number are going to be changed to apartments or else bought by people looking to sublet them while the housing market seesaws. Planning late sucks, but it is eminently doable here. I'm in a similar situation. I'm down to two schools, but my SO is a a bajillion med school waitlists, and he could hear anywhere between now and August. We're both going to just wait it out until we know where we'll be/if we'll be together/who's going to hold onto all of our furniture until we live together again. Ugh. I got back from Africa two years ago and with every material possession I acquire, I feel weighted down. (Who's going to take the damn food processor?) I miss being able to carry all my worldly goods on my back. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up on the housing situation in DC. I feel a lot better about the possibility of moving there relatively late in the game, and I think it'll help that I lived in the city before. Bajillion's a really big number. Hope everything works out. Took me a while to figure out SO though (silly optometrist?).

Good luck to all of you.