Fellowship vs. Research Assistantship?

LongGraduatedStudent

UIUC's grad app requires me to number my financial aid preferences.

The options are Teaching Assistantship, Research Assistantship, Fellowship, Tuition waiver only

I know what the first one and last one of those two are (as they are pretty obvious), can someone explain me what is the difference between a fellowship and a research assistantship?

UIUC's grad app requires me to number my financial aid preferences.

The options are Teaching Assistantship, Research Assistantship, Fellowship, Tuition waiver only

I know what the first one and last one of those two are (as they are pretty obvious), can someone explain me what is the difference between a fellowship and a research assistantship?

Typically the fellowship comes with no strings attached. For example, if you are on fellowship your first year, you would receive whatever stipend amount the fellowship is for, but would have no additional obligations (such as being a TA or RA). A research assistant just means that you would be the research assistant to a professor. Being a RA you will be alloted some amount of money, but will be required to work for a faculty member (typically around 20hrs/wk). The time commitment and workload for being an RA can vary quite a bit depending on the faculty you work with, although most schools provide general guidelines for this.

Edited by adaptations

I don't know why they have these rankings. I've seen several of them too. I would assume that just about everybody would say Fellowship, Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, and then Tuition only.

Well, not everyone would necessarily use that order. Some people are more into teaching than research and so would put TA above RA. Also, some schools have earlier deadlines for applicants who want fellowship consideration, so there is that to consider as well.

Edited by newms