Poor Quantitative Score

WillD

Hello,

This is my first post and it concerns my upcoming GRE test. After taking a couple of practice tests (from GRE Powerprep), my verbal is okay (580) but my quantitative is very poor (470). I haven't taken a math class in 13 years so this is part of the problem. Still, I have been studying, but I am just not getting the job done on the practice tests. I plan to take the test next week. Do you have any suggestions?

By the way I am applying to some top-level PhD schools in religion and I am currently finishing up an M.A. with a GPA of 4.00.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

Those full tests are not always accurate, so don't focus them and don't worry.

In the time that you have left go over ALL the basics of Maths. Then, do a lot practice questions on every section of Maths; identify your weak spots and go over that theory again.

The thing that helped me was the Kaplan Math Section workbook. I went through each section and re-taught myself all the math I'd forgotten since I hadn't taken a math class in about 6 years. Then I went through all the practice problem types, just as it's layed out in the book. I managed to score a 710 on the Quantitative section, which I would think would be a perfectly acceptable score for someone seeking a non-math degree (like myself).

I just want to reassure you...I took the GRE today, and was very disappointed to see my quantitative was 470 also! I'm applying to English phd programs. My verbal was higher, and I obviously don't know about the writing part yet. However, if you're applying to a humanities program, the quantitative doesn't matter very much at all. I frantically emailed friends in grad school and my advisor, and everyone told me not to worry. One friend is in an Ivy League phd humanities program, and they scored only a bit higher on the quantitative at 490, so there is hope for both of us!

Just focus on the writing sample and sop, and try not to worry...that's what I'm doing! smile.gif

Best of luck!

Oops, I misunderstood the post...unsure.gif my brain is fried from a long day and the GRE. Since you haven't yet taken the actual test, you can definitely improve the score. However, I would spend much more time focusing on the verbal part. I went from practice test score around 600 to a 750 on the real thing today just by spending 1 hour a day on vocabulary. If you have the time to devote to math great, but I decided to focus on getting my verbal score up with the limited time I had to study.

Good luck on the real test, and disregard my earlier post!