Do I have a chance in Ornithology of some sort?

Birdcrazy

My dream since I was in 6th grade was to study birds or work with birds somehow. But I have so many blockages along the way that I don't know what my chances are... they include:

Kinda low GPA: 3.3 in zoology from Michigan State University, I graduated in 2004

Low GRE: 1070. plus it is expired

Physically limited: I am not very strong and I am too heavy. I tried field work but one field study even let go of me early because I could not keep up.

Emotionally limited: I have a mood/psychosis disorder severe enough it has caused trouble with past research and even on medications it still pops up. Most of the time however people can't tell I have this disability

My strengths: I am a walking field guide, I remember facts easily. I also have good ears and know most of the Eastern United States bird songs. If you look at my transcripts, I did well in the higher level zoology classes, it was the lower level non-zoology courses that brought my GPA down.

I also almost got into a grad program in Canada. What stopped me was the fact the prof. was new and he didn't realize that he couldn't have students yet!!!

Suggestions?

I am not doing Ornithology or indeed science but I'd say that if you write an excellent statement of purpose where you emphasise your background that has something to do with Ornithology and speak passionately of your research interests - i.e. show that you really really care about the subject and the experiences throughout your life have led you to applying to this particular school, to this particular programme - then you have a good chance of getting in.

A statement of purpose is often more important for professors than anything else really.

All the best to you! If Ornithology if what you want to do, I'd say go for it!

• 1 month later...

Hi Birdcrazy

If this is your dream - follow it!

I think you could make it work. You just need a project where there isn't strenuous field work.

I strongly reccommed signing up for the ECOLOG listserv, which you can find at https://listserv.umd...s/ecolog-l.html, at (you can also just search ecolog listserv

I see lots and lots of postings for jobs and graduate degrees related to ornithology. You get a lot of emails on this listserv, but I think it will be worth it for you. I would also start volunteering or join your local natural history society. Look online for who is birding in your area. Once you have contacts, so many doors open. Maybe you could work at a zoo or a nature reserve in the future? Or lead *easy* bird walks in your dream location?

Follow your passion, focus on what you can do and I bet in 10 years you will be so surprised where you are! I have a very good friend with similar problems, and she is making here career as a naturalist work!

My dream since I was in 6th grade was to study birds or work with birds somehow. But I have so many blockages along the way that I don't know what my chances are... they include:

Kinda low GPA: 3.3 in zoology from Michigan State University, I graduated in 2004

Low GRE: 1070. plus it is expired

Physically limited: I am not very strong and I am too heavy. I tried field work but one field study even let go of me early because I could not keep up.

Emotionally limited: I have a mood/psychosis disorder severe enough it has caused trouble with past research and even on medications it still pops up. Most of the time however people can't tell I have this disability

My strengths: I am a walking field guide, I remember facts easily. I also have good ears and know most of the Eastern United States bird songs. If you look at my transcripts, I did well in the higher level zoology classes, it was the lower level non-zoology courses that brought my GPA down.

I also almost got into a grad program in Canada. What stopped me was the fact the prof. was new and he didn't realize that he couldn't have students yet!!!

Suggestions?

Edited by Clarrien