how many rounds does it take?

For the folks who are "already attending" -- did you get accepted in your first round of applications, or did you have to try a second (or third) time before you got in?

I realize this is partly a 'dumb' question because it depends on many things and will be different for each applicant, but I still thought it'd be useful to hear about. I'm currently finishing up an MA and this is my first time applying to PhD programs (5-6 schools in the top 40, 2 that are middle-ranking, and 2 safeties).

I got in the first time around, and so did most people I know (not to sound bitchy; that was just my experience).

<br style="text-shadow: none;">For the folks who are "already attending" -- did you get accepted in your first round of applications, or did you have to try a second (or third) time before you got in?<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">I realize this is partly a 'dumb' question because it depends on many things and will be different for each applicant, but I still thought it'd be useful to hear about. I'm currently finishing up an MA and this is my first time applying to PhD programs (5-6 schools in the top 40, 2 that are middle-ranking, and 2 safeties).<br style="text-shadow: none;">
<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">

Second round - I was fresh from undergrad had no idea what I was doing the first time I applied. I know it was the same for at least one other person in my current cohort (at a top-20 school where I was rejected two years prior). I'm sure you understand it's not a matter of number of times applying, though, but rather how well your SoP and writing sample reflect your preparedness and focus. While I needed the extra two years away to figure out exactly what I wanted (and am ultimately glad I had them), it's probably best to do it right the first time around!

Edited by intextrovert

Second round - I was fresh from undergrad had no idea what I was doing the first time I applied. I know it was the same for at least one other person in my current cohort (at a top-20 school where I was rejected two years prior). I'm sure you understand it's not a matter of number of times applying, though, but rather how well your SoP and writing sample reflect your preparedness and focus. While I needed the extra two years away to figure out exactly what I wanted (and am ultimately glad I had them), it's probably best to do it right the first time around!

If nothing else, it will save you a fair amount of money. It also took me two tries--the first was during my senior year while I was trying to write an honors thesis and get A's in seven classes (succeeding in two out of three goals wasn't bad, though). The grad school application got sent to the backburner because it was the only thing that could be delayed for a year. I ended up being able to focus on the application and figure out exactly what I wanted to do after I was finished with undergrad. That time to mull it over led to successful statements and samples (even though, admittedly, it still took a few months to get myself together. I still wasn't done with my writing sample on December 1st which meant there were two schools I was interested in and then couldn't apply to and the personal statement that I sent to schools on December 15th was quite different from the one I would have sent out to a school on December 8th [Duke's wonderful deadline, which I also missed]. I'm quite the little procrastinator).

If nothing else, it will save you a fair amount of money. It also took me two tries--the first was during my senior year while I was trying to write an honors thesis and get A's in seven classes (succeeding in two out of three goals wasn't bad, though). The grad school application got sent to the backburner because it was the only thing that could be delayed for a year. I ended up being able to focus on the application and figure out exactly what I wanted to do after I was finished with undergrad. That time to mull it over led to successful statements and samples (even though, admittedly, it still took a few months to get myself together. I still wasn't done with my writing sample on December 1st which meant there were two schools I was interested in and then couldn't apply to and the personal statement that I sent to schools on December 15th was quite different from the one I would have sent out to a school on December 8th [Duke's wonderful deadline, which I also missed]. I'm quite the little procrastinator).

Thank you for sharing that. It is so encouraging to hear that others have had to go through two rounds and still been successful. I had a very similar situation last year -- working on my honors thesis, preparing for the defense, trying to squeeze in time to write the sop and tweak a paper or two for the writing sample. My focus is already much stronger this time around, and I'm hoping for better success. ~passes a coffee to fellow procrastinator~

Edited by lady_coffee

The first time I applied I got into one unfunded PhD program and a MA. I went to the MA and during the program applied again and was accepted into 4 PhDs and wait listed at one. I ended up not enrolling for personal reasons and am now applying for my third time.

Edited by adaptations