Importance of GRE in Canada

pgx

Hello,

I want to apply to Uni Toronto for a MS in CS. The GRE is not required, but it's stated that it is recommended. As this is the only school that recommends it (I apply to European schools mostly), I don't think that paying 160$ will justify the possible advantage it can give me. Do you think there is a big difference if you don't submit GRE scores? I have a very good GPA, recommendation letters and some work/research experience.

I applied unsuccessfully to that program last year and from my experience I would say that if you can get a high score, then I would recommend doing the GRE. Toronto is like a top 10 US school for CS. It is very competitive - just look at the number of rejections on the survey on this site from last year. While the GRE is only recommended, if you can score highly then I would suggest you take it to give yourself a better chance. If you're not sure that you could score highly, then focus on the more important parts of your application such as your SoP.

I'm applying to UAlberta, and while they also do not require the GRE, the professor I spoke to recommended it, if only because it allows them to apply for more scholarships/fellowships for me if I'm accepted. The GRE is required for my other programs, so it's not a big deal for me. If you're really concerned, email the department and ask, though it sounds like it's not worth your time.