GRE verbal important for financial maths?

ORFE

You haven't provided much information about yourself, and in a vacuum it's hard to answer your question.

The 800-Q is essential I would think. Are you an international student? What about your GPA, and where did you attend undergraduate school, with what majors, etc. Do you have well-known professors as references? Publications? Research? Etc. Etc.

In general, at the top 5 schools in any field, the competition is brutal, and unless the rest of your application is absolutely stellar, you probably do need a 600 or higher on verbal, while keeping your 800-quantitative.

My two cents.

You haven't provided much information about yourself, and in a vacuum it's hard to answer your question.

The 800-Q is essential I would think. Are you an international student? What about your GPA, and where did you attend undergraduate school, with what majors, etc. Do you have well-known professors as references? Publications? Research? Etc. Etc.

In general, at the top 5 schools in any field, the competition is brutal, and unless the rest of your application is absolutely stellar, you probably do need a 600 or higher on verbal, while keeping your 800-quantitative.

My two cents.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am an internation student, what does that change for the GRE verbal?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am an internation student, what does that change for the GRE verbal?

The "conventional wisdom" is that if your native language is not English, admissions committees will grant you a little bit of leeway. Also, many threads on this forum say that the TOEFL then becomes more important than your GRE Verbal score.

But remember that at the very most selective universities, you'll be competing against international students whose English is superb. One international student on this forum got a 750 in English, which is superior, even for a native speaker.

The "conventional wisdom" is that if your native language is not English, admissions committees will grant you a little bit of leeway. Also, many threads on this forum say that the TOEFL then becomes more important than your GRE Verbal score.

But remember that at the very most selective universities, you'll be competing against international students whose English is superb. One international student on this forum got a 750 in English, which is superior, even for a native speaker.

I got 110 in Toefl (30R 29L 23S 28W). I hope that could offset a little bit my GRE verbal.

To reply to your questions, I'm currently majoring in applied maths in a top university in Europe, with GPA>4.2 over 4.4. Three internships (one kind of doing quant research in an investment bank), some academic research projects in financial maths, but no publications. And I'm trying to have good letters from well known professors now. :rolleyes:

Even if your program of study is math, you'll still need to be able to communicate effectively..verbally and in writing. Another thing to consider is what kind of funding you may get from your future school. For a teaching assistantship, you may need to provide a higher TOEFL speaking score, for example.