Brandeis MS in Neuroscience question

new mexico

Hello,

I have a question. I'm considering applying to the Brandeis' MS in Neuroscience for Fall 2011. Has anyone here done the program?

If so, what did you do after your master's, and did you do it immediately (that is, the following year), or wait a year or two?

Also, would it be rude if I asked the department what their graduate students do after the MS.

I mean, it's only ONE year....a one year master's.

Thanks in advance,

nm

Hello,

I have a question. I'm considering applying to the Brandeis' MS in Neuroscience for Fall 2011. Has anyone here done the program?

If so, what did you do after your master's, and did you do it immediately (that is, the following year), or wait a year or two?

Also, would it be rude if I asked the department what their graduate students do after the MS.

I mean, it's only ONE year....a one year master's.

Thanks in advance,

nm

Are you sure that 1 year MS program isn't a BS/MS program for Brandeis undergrads only? That's usually the case.

My suggestion is to not apply to MS or PhD program until you figure out first what to do with that degree. You only need a degree because you want to pursue a career which REQUIRES that degree. Otherwise it's a waste of your time. My opinion is that nowdays MS degree will only allow you to 1) teach at community colleges and 2) become Research Technician IV. To teach at a 4-year university or be a principal investigator, you'll need a PhD.

It's perfectly ok to ask a department what their graduate students do after MS or PhD. Most departments track their graduates destination by %, be it academia, industry, etc. You need to know what you want do with the degree, though. Just because 80% of their graduates went academia doesn't mean the school's training is geared toward academia; it's just what their graduated decided to do.

Are you sure that 1 year MS program isn't a BS/MS program for Brandeis undergrads only? That's usually the case.

My suggestion is to not apply to MS or PhD program until you figure out first what to do with that degree. You only need a degree because you want to pursue a career which REQUIRES that degree. Otherwise it's a waste of your time. My opinion is that nowdays MS degree will only allow you to 1) teach at community colleges and 2) become Research Technician IV. To teach at a 4-year university or be a principal investigator, you'll need a PhD.

It's perfectly ok to ask a department what their graduate students do after MS or PhD. Most departments track their graduates destination by %, be it academia, industry, etc. You need to know what you want do with the degree, though. Just because 80% of their graduates went academia doesn't mean the school's training is geared toward academia; it's just what their graduated decided to do.

hello. thanks for the reply! i would love to do a phd, but i want to see if neuroscience is the "right" discipline for me. It's a MS program, not an BS/MS program. I will definitely email the department.

thanks again!

nm