MS for EE for physics major?

Bird Jaguar IV

Hello everyone

I'm in the seemingly unusual situation of being interested in an MS in EE, without having an undergrad engineering major. I majored in physics, and truth be told I don't even have a BS (rather a BA from a small liberal arts school), with some electronics coursework.

Most profiles I've seen around here represent people with plenty of experience who have their graduate studies plans nailed down pretty good, and while the schools I'm looking at (Purdue and Ga Tech, for example) say they accept students with undergrad majors in physics, I was wondering if anyone knows the chances of these things happening.

I did ok on the GRE (790 quant, 6.0 writing and 630 verbal), if that makes much of a difference.

Just trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Thanks!

I think it really depends on what area of EE you want to go into. You have a good background for some areas, and a pretty weak one for other areas.

If you are interested in electromagnetics or optics, you're probably in good shape. Conversely, some other areas have layers of abstraction that you probably aren't that familiar with, I would guess.