Judith Butler to Columbia

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/culture/2010/11/760690/professor-trouble-post-structuralist-star-judith-butler-headed-columb

Just saw that Judith Butler is leaving Berkeley for Columbia. Kind of sucks, she was one of the biggest draws at Berkeley's Rhetoric department.

I think this is actually enough for me to cancel my application there. I was already unhappy with the complexity of the UC application, plus residency requirements are a bane and funding seems an uncertain proposition...now this. Yup, think Berkeley is no more for me. Sad that I already sent the GRE report, but at least I'll save the application fee.

Thoughts on Butler or the UC system in general?

I thought she wasn't actually leaving Berkeley--that she was just going to be a visiting professor in the Spring of 2012 and the Spring of 2013.

http://chronicle.com...olumbia-u/28217

And I see you're commenting on my possible misinformation after I edited lol.

Edited by diehtc0ke

She's not leaving Berkeley. She's going to be a visiting professor in the Spring of 2012 and the Spring of 2013.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/judith-butler-plans-to-move-from-berkeley-to-columbia-u/28217

Yes, she's going to be there as a visiting professor for the first two years and then will join the faculty full-time.

Here's the letter from the chair of English and Comparative Literature at Columbia University to graduate students in the department:

Dear Graduate Students,

I am thrilled to announce that Judith Butler will be joining our department

as a regular faculty member. For each of the next two years she will be a

full-time visitor in the spring terms. After that she will be here on a

permanent year-round basis.

In spring of this academic year Professor Butler will give a colloquium just

for our department to which all faculty and grad students will be invited.

It will be our chance to welcome her to our community.

Best, Jean Howard

Edited to say *yay* for simultaneous edits. :D

Edited by outofredink

Yes, she's going to be there as a visiting professor for the first two years and then will join the faculty full-time.

Here's the letter from the chair of English and Comparative Literature at Columbia University to graduate students in the department:

Dear Graduate Students,

I am thrilled to announce that Judith Butler will be joining our department

as a regular faculty member. For each of the next two years she will be a

full-time visitor in the spring terms. After that she will be here on a

permanent year-round basis.

In spring of this academic year Professor Butler will give a colloquium just

for our department to which all faculty and grad students will be invited.

It will be our chance to welcome her to our community.

Best, Jean Howard

Edited to say *yay* for simultaneous edits. :D

Well, that just means I'll be a visiting student at Columbia rather than Berkeley now. I definitely should have applied there in hindsight.

Well, that just means I'll be a visiting student at Columbia rather than Berkeley now. I definitely should have applied there in hindsight.

Nice, do you have plans to work with her? It definitely makes Columbia more attractive, bumps it up a space or two.

Nice, do you have plans to work with her? It definitely makes Columbia more attractive, bumps it up a space or two.

I hadn't really planned on it but the school I'm at now has an exchange program with all the ivies, Chicago, MIT and Berkeley and, without ever having given it much thought, I was considering taking a year to study at Berkeley because of the nice weather and Judith Butler. Now, I'd just be going for nice weather.

Wow, this is big. I'm applying to Berkeley's Rhetoric program - specifically, the Literature & Phil sub-section that Butler heads. So, she's not leaving until Spring 2012? I'm not applying to the program solely because Butler would be heading the area I'm interested in, but this still takes the wind out of my sails.