Scores for international student applying for PhD

matilda9

Hi,

I'm an international student (English is not my first language), taking the GRE in a week (for fall 2011) and I want to apply for PhD programs in business schools (at Harvard, NYU, MIT, Northwestern, and Columbia).

I still haven't started the applications formally, so I want to know what are the norms (for international student) in business departments and what are the unofficial minimum requirements. I asked a few department, but they either said they don't know or said they don't give that information. Is there anybody here who knows that, or knows how to find out?

(I want to know that in order to decide weather to apply this year to those schools, or to improve my grades and apply next year without spending a lot of money on applications that hardly stand a chance)

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm an international student (English is not my first language), taking the GRE in a week (for fall 2011) and I want to apply for PhD programs in business schools (at Harvard, NYU, MIT, Northwestern, and Columbia).

I still haven't started the applications formally, so I want to know what are the norms (for international student) in business departments and what are the unofficial minimum requirements. I asked a few department, but they either said they don't know or said they don't give that information. Is there anybody here who knows that, or knows how to find out?

(I want to know that in order to decide weather to apply this year to those schools, or to improve my grades and apply next year without spending a lot of money on applications that hardly stand a chance)

Thanks!

Dear Matilda, I really don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. The schools probably told you that the GRE/TOEFL scores are only a part of the overall application and plays a big role but far from the major part in the admissions process.

I'd say that your SOP, research/work experience, recommendation letters are way more important than your scores (assuming your scores are at good/acceptable level).

Regarding the scores, I'd say that [very very generally speaking but it really can't be generalised] >600 V, >750 Q are considered great scores for international students [and probably this is the least what you should aim for since you listed some of the best schools in the nation]; and 500-600 V and 650-750 Q are good scores.

This is, naturally, is my personal subjective understanding of the matter. All the best with your applications!

Dear Matilda, I really don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. The schools probably told you that the GRE/TOEFL scores are only a part of the overall application and plays a big role but far from the major part in the admissions process.

I'd say that your SOP, research/work experience, recommendation letters are way more important than your scores (assuming your scores are at good/acceptable level).

Regarding the scores, I'd say that [very very generally speaking but it really can't be generalised] >600 V, >750 Q are considered great scores for international students [and probably this is the least what you should aim for since you listed some of the best schools in the nation]; and 500-600 V and 650-750 Q are good scores.

This is, naturally, is my personal subjective understanding of the matter. All the best with your applications!

OK, that's actually helpful!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my scores - 490 on the verbal section ans 770 on the quantitative. And now, since these are very good schools and I may get better grades if I'll study longer for the GRE (I only had 2 weeks to study...) I don't know if I should apply or try again next year, since applications are not cheap. Do applications with these scores stand a chance?

Matilda.

Do applications with these scores stand a chance?

they certainly do - but unfortunately, not for the bigshot schools (like yale, mit, harvard, etc). you being an international student might aid to the fact that you got low verbal scores, but i am no business guy, and i am inclined to say that that would not extremely hurt your application. you can still try, and also apply to some backup schools, if you have to get into phd programs this year anyhoo. if you are in the position of waiting till next admission cycle, i suggest you to wait it out, prepare better for the gre, and try again.

that said, and as you might be aware of too, gre isn't the only thing they take into consideration for admission. it's simply a make or break thing, and most of the weight of your application is carried by your research, lor, sop and grades.

they certainly do - but unfortunately, not for the bigshot schools (like yale, mit, harvard, etc). you being an international student might aid to the fact that you got low verbal scores, but i am no business guy, and i am inclined to say that that would not extremely hurt your application. you can still try, and also apply to some backup schools, if you have to get into phd programs this year anyhoo. if you are in the position of waiting till next admission cycle, i suggest you to wait it out, prepare better for the gre, and try again.

that said, and as you might be aware of too, gre isn't the only thing they take into consideration for admission. it's simply a make or break thing, and most of the weight of your application is carried by your research, lor, sop and grades.

Thanks.

Is it considered acceptable to start a PhD program in one place, and during the first year to apply to another?

Thanks. Is it considered acceptable to enter a PhD program and during the first year to apply to another?

Thanks. Is it considered acceptable to enter a PhD program and during the first year to apply to another?

this is a hard one to answer. imo, it's all about ethics. if you apply to other phd programs during a phd so that you can leave the current one, it is very selfish and not appropriate at all. i mean, you committed to one phd program, and therefore joined that school. now after a year, you are planning to leave that school because a better program has accepted you. this doesn't seem right, from my perspective. unless you have severe financial/health/personal problems that would not allow you to continue your phd at a certain institution, i don't think it's moral to switch programs.

you can, however, transfer to another phd program if you don't like your current one.

this is a hard one to answer. imo, it's all about ethics. if you apply to other phd programs during a phd so that you can leave the current one, it is very selfish and not appropriate at all. i mean, you committed to one phd program, and therefore joined that school. now after a year, you are planning to leave that school because a better program has accepted you. this doesn't seem right, from my perspective. unless you have severe financial/health/personal problems that would not allow you to continue your phd at a certain institution, i don't think it's moral to switch programs.

you can, however, transfer to another phd program if you don't like your current one.

Dear Bhikhaari

Thanks for all your answers. I asked because someone suggested this options, and it didn't seem right so I wanted to know if it's normal.

Matilda