Language Documentation Schools

res2135

I'm currently attending a master's program for Speech-Language Pathology, but majored in Linguistics in undergrad and recently realized I absolutely have to get a PhD in Linguistics or I just won't be happy. My area of interest is endangered language documentation and revitalization, so I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on which schools I should be looking at for that. So far I've narrowed it down to Berkeley, Stanford, Hawaii, UCSB, UCLA, and UT Austin. What GRE score should I be aiming for? Also, is it crazy to try to get a PhD in linguistics after getting a master's in Speech Pathology since my field isn't phonology? Thanks!

Edited by res2135

I would think that getting a PhD in linguistics, even in phonology, is mostly unrelated to a degree in SLP. I guess the question is why you want the PhD? I don't think it's crazy at all, I'm just wondering why you won't be happy without it and what you want to do with it and with your other degree. Many programs are very research-oriented and may not be happy admitting an applicant who will "waste" the education and not continue on to academia. On the other hand, a language documentation specialty may be practical enough to get by that problem (if it exists).. As with all other applicants, you'll get in if you can convince the adcom that you are excited and dedicated to the field and that you are a good fit with the program you're applying to. Varied backgrounds are generally something programs like in their cohorts.

I'm sorry I can't help with advice about specific schools but for one thing, six schools is really not a large number. Why not apply to all of them?

The GRE is probably not the main thing to be concerned about; UCLA doesn't require it at all, to the best of my knowledge, and it's certainly not a deciding factor in admissions at top schools. The field is small enough that all applications get at least some consideration. I'm pretty sure no application gets tossed out completely unread because of cutoffs. I suppose you still need a number to aim for: the general advice on this board is to at least get to 1000, and try for 1200. Again, I think other things are much more important.

At the time I decided to go for a master's in SLP, I had a hard time deciding between that or a PhD. I ended up choosing to go for SLP because I knew my application wasn't going to be good enough and I thought I would like speech pathology. To a certain extent, I do, but linguistics is my real passion and I find myself constantly daydreaming about how much happier I'd be if I were in a linguistics program instead of the one I'm in. I want to go into academia. That would be ideal and I would be overjoyed to teach (even intro classes) and do research.

I'm planning on applying to all six I listed. I was trying to find other schools for language documentation in addition to those.

Thanks for the help!

At the time I decided to go for a master's in SLP, I had a hard time deciding between that or a PhD. I ended up choosing to go for SLP because I knew my application wasn't going to be good enough and I thought I would like speech pathology. To a certain extent, I do, but linguistics is my real passion and I find myself constantly daydreaming about how much happier I'd be if I were in a linguistics program instead of the one I'm in. I want to go into academia. That would be ideal and I would be overjoyed to teach (even intro classes) and do research.

I'm planning on applying to all six I listed. I was trying to find other schools for language documentation in addition to those.

Thanks for the help!

Ah, I see. Sorry I can't suggest any other schools but as I said, I think a varied background is never a disadvantage. It's all about how you put it in the SOP and if you're a good fit with a program they'd be fools not to admit you just because you have a SLP degree! Good luck with your application :)

Ah, I see. Sorry I can't suggest any other schools but as I said, I think a varied background is never a disadvantage. It's all about how you put it in the SOP and if you're a good fit with a program they'd be fools not to admit you just because you have a SLP degree! Good luck with your application :)

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting your masters in Speech Pathology?

I'm currently struggling to chose between SLP and a Masters in Psycholinguistics. I'm interested to hear more about why SLP isn't doing it for you. Is it because you really want to be in Academia, doing research and teaching? Or is SLP just not theoretical enough?

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting your masters in Speech Pathology?

I'm currently struggling to chose between SLP and a Masters in Psycholinguistics. I'm interested to hear more about why SLP isn't doing it for you. Is it because you really want to be in Academia, doing research and teaching? Or is SLP just not theoretical enough?

I'm at Vanderbilt (School of Medicine). I honestly don't really want to do SLP for a variety of reasons:

1. I kind of settled on SLP thinking I wanted the practical application of theoretical knowledge. I have since realized that while that is what I want, I want it in a more linguistic-y format (if that makes sense). SLP is very different from linguistics in its focus and approach towards language, and all of the linguistics majors in my program agree that it's...weird. I just generally disagree with the view SLP has of linguistics and the application of linguistic knowledge. Then again, maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just my program. Also they modify the IPA in weird ways, at least in my program.

2. I feel like a LOT of the people going into SLP are girls getting their MRS. It drives me absolutely crazy. Again, it could just be my program...

3. SLP is not overly evidence-based in practice. There's a big push for it to be, but there are still a ton of SLPs out there doing stupid things in therapy that have been proven NOT to work. There's also just not very much research about whether or not certain therapies even work. This also drives me crazy and makes me not want to stay in the field.

4. I just can't picture myself doing ONLY speech pathology for the rest of my life. The idea of doing that depresses the hell out of me. The only way that could remotely be okay for me is if I worked in an international school and/or a school setting and took the summers off to travel, learn new languages, research, etc. I'd rather not work in a school setting, though, because then your caseload is 75+, which is terrifying.

I could go into academia in SLP- there's actually a huge need for Ph.D.s in the field, so it wouldn't be overly difficult to do so. I just don't really want to research communication disorders. I'm more interested in anthropological linguistics/linguistic anthropology.

I'm sure there's more reasons I could give, but this is what I first thought of. Feel free to PM me or respond here.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in SLP grad school right now, and I love the field! But I definitely agree with you that EBP, while a current push, is often ignored by those actually practicing. I also work right now in a school, and I know plenty of SLPs who never read any journal articles, and still do many things because someone years ago told them to do it, even though there is no evidence that it's beneficial. I kind of wish the field was more academic, less "do whatever feels good or right to you," but there are a lot of excellent therapists out there, too. I see myself practicing for some years, but ultimately either getting my PhD in SLP, or just teaching as an adjunct, and being a part of making a change in how SLPs approach therapy.

• 3 months later...

I'm currently attending a master's program for Speech-Language Pathology, but majored in Linguistics in undergrad and recently realized I absolutely have to get a PhD in Linguistics or I just won't be happy. My area of interest is endangered language documentation and revitalization, so I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on which schools I should be looking at for that. So far I've narrowed it down to Berkeley, Stanford, Hawaii, UCSB, UCLA, and UT Austin. What GRE score should I be aiming for? Also, is it crazy to try to get a PhD in linguistics after getting a master's in Speech Pathology since my field isn't phonology? Thanks!

I realize my post is coming at you a bit later, and that you've probably already applied to several PhD programs, but you should also check out the University of Utah. They do a lot of work with American Indian languages, including South and Central Amerindian languages. They've got several extensive projects with Shoshone (at their Center for American Indian Languages) and are one of the best schools in the U.S. for documentary linguistics.

Cheers!