What transcripts are needed for applications?

je1230

I have been applying to numerous fellowships and graduate schools and am having difficulty figuring out what all transcripts are needed for my applications. During high school, I attended a community college full time (taking first year courses including General Chemistry, General Biology, and Calculus 1, 2, and 3). I also attended a local college for two gen ed courses in my junior year of high school (Literature and Psychology). All of these credits were transferred to my current university, but the grades are erased and they are only considered for the credit on my home university transcript. I will send transcripts from my home university, but is it necessary to send transcripts from one or both other schools? I have a 3.97 GPA currently and my GPA for both other schools is 4.0, so it's not that I'm ashamed of my GPA, it's just a bit of a hassle to drive 5 hours home to get these transcripts sent.

Thanks for your input.

Can you not organise this by phone? If in doubt I think the only real option is to contact the admissions departments directly and see what they require. You wouldn't want to inadvertently not send necessary information.

Many schools will require transcripts from the two other schools you mentioned. I have never heard of having to request transcripts in person (and I am dealing with transcripts from four different schools), so you should be able to handle it without a five hour drive. You should be able to submit a transcript request form (see the registrar page from former schools) and they can send the transcripts to you, or directly to the schools to which you are applying.

Yes from all schools. I had this same issue (community college at home, my undergrad university and a study abroad university). Only one grad program said they only wanted my undergrad transcript. Definitely ask, could save you money if you check with the schools, but generally they want it all.

It depends upon the school you're applying to, but generally they will want transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. For example, I am thinking of applying to about 14 different schools, and only 1 explicitly stated that JC transcripts were not needed, while another said that they would "prefer" to have them sent. Your can probably have a request for transcripts sent in by mail.

I was told that you needed to send in all post-secondary transcripts. One of my applications even stated that if you didn't send them all in (even JC), it would be considered that you were intentionally withholding information. So, unless it specifically states you don't need JC as well, send 'em all in.