3rd Letter OF Recommendation Guidance

indyir

Hi ,

i am applying to IR programs in the top universities .

I have a letter of recommendation from my current employer - director at The EU Chambers of Commerce in India. A letter from the head of department of my undergrad program in Mumbai. I majored in Economics.

Programs sucha s MALD at Fletcher and SAIS JHU , require 3 letters of recommendation. I am extremely confused about the 3rd one.

I worked in Hungary for 6 Months at an SME , but the work was not directly related . I gave culture sensitization sessions and taught Business English. I can get a letter of recommendation from my employer there , they love me.. BUT IS IT RELEVANT ?

Also , I was an extremely active part of AIESEC Mumbai- Organizing Chair Person of the Outgoing Exchange sector had a chance to develop my leadership skills as well. My job role required me to recruit, select and train students for International Internships in the Development and Education sectorI successfully forged partnerships with AIESEC chapters in 15 different countries and matched Indian students to internships there in areas as diverse as energy, HIV, disaster relief, public health, micro-finance etc. My Vice President went on to head AIESEC Peru at a National Level...

Should I ask him for a letter of recommendation , as he has seen my leadership style etc ..

The third option is to just get it from another professor since I graduated 2 years back...I had a minor in history and a major in economics , I had professors in both departments who will be willing to give me one.

Really need some feedback in this regard !

Neha

Hi,

I am also applying to IR programs, and I think your 3rd letter of recommendation should come from a professor/teacher. Actually, most of the schools I am applying to explicitly require this. I am also applying to MALD at Fletcher; here is the recommendation requirement(s) right off of Fletcher's application instructions:

"We suggest that at least one letter come from a faculty member, academic dean, or an advisor familiar with your academic performance. A second letter should come from a professional supervisor, mentor or colleague."

Good luck!

Edited by vneff

Hi ,

Thanks ! Yeah the thing is I already have it from one professor , she was the head of the economics department and taught me economics for two years. One is from my current boss , So do you suggest , I get two from Professors ?

Thanks !

Well, in that case, I think either is okay (a previous employer or previous professor). For my recommendations, I had the director of International Studies at my undergrad university, a letter from the director of the organization I work for now in China, and then one from a previous employer whom I worked under for about 4 years (totally unrelated to IR, but a recommender who would write an awesome letter for me).

Edited by vneff