Master's in UK or US?

armouredapple

Hi - I saw a thread on this from 2008/9, but my question is slightly different, so I thought I'd start a new post.

I'm moving to postgraduate study in philosophy after a few years away from the subject, so I was thinking of doing a one-year Master's before putting in PhD applications. As I'm in the UK, I was going to just apply here (St Andrew's, the MA at University College London...I'm crossing out Oxford as it's a 2-year program), but now I'm wondering whether I should add some US applications to places like Brandeis, Tufts, Georgia State...I'm going by the Philosophical Gourmet.

However I noticed one comment in the old thread saying that the UK programs have stronger records in placing people at top places in the US. What are opinions on this - i.e is there a significant difference? Since the US applications seem to have different requirements (e.g. longer writing samples), I'm wondering if this would be the best use of my time.

Thanks!

On the writing sample, in case any one else is considering the same question, there seems to be variation even on either side of the Atlantic. At St Andrew's it's <2000 words, UCL none at all (?!), Georgia State <5000 and Brandeis <35 pages. So I feel like I could end up trying to write on similar material in (at least) 3 different formats.

Hi - I saw a thread on this from 2008/9, but my question is slightly different, so I thought I'd start a new post.

I'm moving to postgraduate study in philosophy after a few years away from the subject, so I was thinking of doing a one-year Master's before putting in PhD applications. As I'm in the UK, I was going to just apply here (St Andrew's, the MA at University College London...I'm crossing out Oxford as it's a 2-year program), but now I'm wondering whether I should add some US applications to places like Brandeis, Tufts, Georgia State...I'm going by the Philosophical Gourmet.

However I noticed one comment in the old thread saying that the UK programs have stronger records in placing people at top places in the US. What are opinions on this - i.e is there a significant difference? Since the US applications seem to have different requirements (e.g. longer writing samples), I'm wondering if this would be the best use of my time.

Thanks!

No Cambridge? Most MPhils here are 1 year.

Thanks for the replies! Yes you're right, I should look into Cambridge - again, I overlooked it because Leiter doesn't mention it in his page on MAs. And thanks for pointing out the Guardian info Bukharan - I've been a bit US-focused in my thinking, as, thinking ahead to the PhD, most of the higher-ranked faculties in my areas (ethics and political philosophy) seem to be there. But that table suggests looking at a few other UK departments too.

• 2 months later...