How should I reply?

za232

I received an offer from Boulder and I would really like to reply and thank the committee, especially because I have already met the department chair and we have exchanged a number of e-mails. However, I still have not heard from my first choice and I don't know how to politely say that I am still holding out in case something better comes along.

Anybody have any ideas?

Like I said elsewhere, say something like "Thank you for the email/notification/post/whatever. Will be waiting eagerly for the letter/funding information/blah/whatever is missing." That ways you don't need to talk about flat out accepting or denying or tell them that you're waiting.

What if nothing is missing?

This is what I did when I was in the same situation:

Dear Sir,

I recently heard back from the admissions office saying that I have been admitted into the program. Of course, I'm very pleased and humbled at the same time. I am greatly interested in the program. Talking with you has given me a great deal to think about! I will seriously consider the offer. Thanks so much. I hope to work with you in the future.

Sincerely,

John Doe

Something along those lines.

I recently heard back from the admissions office saying that I have been

admitted into the program. Of course, I'm very pleased and humbled at

the same time. I am greatly interested in the program. Talking with you

has given me a great deal to think about! I will seriously consider the

offer. Thanks so much. I hope to work with you in the future.

I think the key thing here is that you will "seriously consider the offer." I would leave out the "hope to work with you in the future," it seems a little misleading. But yeah, something along those lines would be a good response.

Like it matters--anyways, you could characterize it as either. It was JOKE.

Grad students seem to have to trade their senses of humor for offers of admission. At least that's my theory. I can't tell you how much crap I've taken from self-important ideologues since deciding to come to grad school. Even around the forums, here, if you dare say anything that is less than PC, the lynch mob arrives with pitchforks and torches at the ready.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I did in the same situation:

Dear Dr. XX,

I am writing to thank you for the email I received notifying me of my acceptance and tuition scholarship nomination. I would also like to thank you and the Admissions Committee for honoring me with a scholarship nomination. I eagerly await the decision from the Scholarship Committee and I look forward to returning my letter of intent.

Thank you again for your kind consideration,

XX

We southern folks have to return thank you letters! Also, I was genuinely honored/humbled/shocked to get nominated for a scholarship with my GPA GRE scores. It deserved a thank you note. Hope this helps.