SOP vs. Writing Sample

BadgerHopeful

I am getting a bit worried because my writing sample is not on a topic that I address as a research interest in my SOP. In fact, my writing sample is on something completely different - totally different time period AND region. But the writing sample I submitted was my best work. How important, if at all, is it that your writing sample concern something that you cited as a research interest in your SOP?

I am getting a bit worried because my writing sample is not on a topic that I address as a research interest in my SOP. In fact, my writing sample is on something completely different - totally different time period AND region. But the writing sample I submitted was my best work. How important, if at all, is it that your writing sample concern something that you cited as a research interest in your SOP?

Not very.

Are there any overlaps at all? Like, are you interested in economic history in colonial America, and your paper is on the silk trade in early modern Paris or whatever? What about methodology? Those are significant, too, although I still don't think that it would count against you.

I don't know what you focus on, but one thing that *might* be a *minor* concern is, if you are applying as a medievalist (I assume ancient history as well), the Powers That Be typically like to see that you can work with Latin in your paper. So if you sent something on, say, modern China you can see how there might be issues there. (I don't know anything about language requirements/preferences with respect to non-European history, sorry). But I guess if your application attests to language ability in other ways--namely, coursework--it's not a problem.

At any rate, even if it's microscopic points off for not being within your topic, it's not worth the risk of submitting anything but your best work.

It's more important that your work shows your approach to history and personal flair (I am not sure that is the best word), than it being boring but about your future temporal/spatial focus. Go with your best paper.