The "program fit" paragraph

My first SOP was for the program I really want to attend. There was no word limit for this essay. Consequently, I managed to weave how I fit into the program through the entire thing. The essay feels really natural and at this point is done. The other programs I am applying to have a more rigid word limit so I have to take a more "stock" approach to writing. I want to be able to use the next essay for the rest of the programs with the goal of only having to change the paragraph mentioning program fit.

I guess I am posting because this part of my essay feels, I don't know, cheap. I basically say, "Program X would be a great place to pursue my research idea. So and so professor, directing lab X, is addressing similar themes in their line of work with (insert similar topic here)."

That's really all I mention. I thought about mentioning papers they have written but there is no space.

Is this sufficient? What would you insert?

I spend a great deal of my new essay outlining a proposal for research. It's pretty forward looking and I am hoping to get by with just one fit paragraph.

thanks

You should say something more. For one, you should show fit with more than just one professor. Having just one potential advisor is a big risk both on your part and on the program's part. What if you two don't get along / the prof accepts a new job / there is no funding / etc ? Ideally you will have sketched your interests in previous sections, so in the fit paragraph you'll be able to show how different faculty can support your research (in terms of methodology, interests). I wouldn't address specific papers, just areas of interest. You could also mention other resources in the department, as well as any unusual opportunities or classes you are interested in. The advice is also relevant to your question.

Thanks for the link. I should have searched the forum.

This might be a problem for me, "For one, you should show fit with more than just one professor. Having just one potential advisor is a big risk both on your part and on the program's part."

I targeted researchers who were working on similar ideas in the field. In all but 2 of my schools that is only one individual in the department. I went for broke with thesis proposals in both essays.

On the the plus-side, I contacted professors ahead of time to see who was taking students.

Thanks for the link. I should have searched the forum.

This might be a problem for me, "For one, you should show fit with more than just one professor. Having just one potential advisor is a big risk both on your part and on the program's part."

I targeted researchers who were working on similar ideas in the field. In all but 2 of my schools that is only one individual in the department. I went for broke with thesis proposals in both essays.

On the the plus-side, I contacted professors ahead of time to see who was taking students.

No problem, it's easier to search when you know what you're looking for :)

Maybe it's different in your field but I'd be very worried about going to a school where I had just one potential advisor. Visit the Officially Grads forum and you'll find all kinds of horror stories about bad fit and flaky advisors, even recently one that up and left for another school, damaging her advisee's thesis proposal before she left and then not taking her along with to the new school even though there's now no one who can advise that person in her department. If a professor like that were your only possible advisor at your school, you'd be royally screwed. I understand that in some sub-fields it can be hard to find departments with multiple potential advisors but you should at least take this into consideration. Is it possible that beside the main person who works on the exact same issues as you, there are other professors who work on related issues or could advise you in terms of methodology or could otherwise support you?

Though this isn't quite what you're going for (and it may not even work for you given that my field is history), what I've done is have a paragraph on general features of the school I like. (For example, only some schools I'm applying to support undergraduate research projects financially, and I mention that I like this because I think it is important that universities treat their undergrads as potential scholars.) Then I wove mentions of other professors whose classes, while perhaps outside my region/period, I would like to take. That way I only need to change those sentences and the main paragraph on the school.

So it goes something like:

[X university has A, B, and C features I like]

Primary interest, which clearly matches those of [potential advisor]

Secondary interests that support my primary interest [related professors whose classes I am excited to take]

[Restate paragraph 1]

I, too, would worry about putting all my eggs in one basket regarding potential advisors. Having a second choice lab - at least research you can tolerate even though you want to do this other very specific thing - for each school would be not only good for yourself, but you can put in the "fit" paragraph. Say what other things you like about a university beyond the advisor, because there must be something. Are there opportunities for, say, research abroad? Did one of the professors seem particularly enthused to work with you? Put those in.

Well, at the most schools there are other professors doing cool research, but it doesn't relate to what I want to do. Most programs have a string of developmentalists, and only one or two specialize in psycholinguistics. I could tolerate working in some of the other labs, but I guess finding the artful way to phrase that in my SOP will be key. I like the one suggestion.

I met with 3 professors at one program and was told that the one I want to work with has grant money and I'm smart to make my SOP very specific because in the end this person gives the final yay or nay to applicants. I guess I figured it worked the same way at other universities.

I'm not going to a university where my POI gives me the impression that they are flakey, crass or a bad fit. I don't care if I turn down the one offer I get if it is that kind of situation. I'll work a day gig somewhere else, but I'm not going to devote 5 years of my life to that. I received that kind of vibe from a few programs when I contacted professors and grad students early in the process. I am not even applying. Those stories, are however, very scary. Luckily, the meetings I have had thus far have been almost too good to be true.

There are totally advisors that could advise me with methodology or other things at the programs I am applying to so I'm not nervous about that. I'll get cracking on writing that last paragraph.

I've received conflicting advice from professors whom I look to for advice. It seems to be either go for broke or be "smart and just vague enough to fit in everywhere." I'm just going to trust my gut with this one. This all helps very much.

Edited by musicforfun

One thing you might look at is whether there are other developmentalists and other psycholinguists in a department. Especially if they have been in the same department as this psycholinguistic developmental researcher for a while they are likely to be well versed in what they are doing and thorough proximity stayed some what knowledgeable about the sub-field. If a program has other developmental professors and other psycholinguistic professors you will have additional people to challenge you on both aspects that you want to specialize in and have ready made committee members. Even if you are mostly focusing on language, you will want to know broadly about development especially at the age range(s) that you will be using as your sample. And even if you are focusing on developmental research, you will want to know about the major psycholinguistic theories and how your work fits into the debates. I hesitate to say it, but what if your perfect POI who would never abandon their students by their own choice has a severe health issue (car accident, heart attack, mental health from death of a child, etc.) during your time in their lab? Hopefully this does not happen, but planning to avoid situations like that is not always possible. Having other options is the only real recourse.

The way I am structuring my fit paragraph is:

Ibelieve that I will be able to continue to follow my research interests in the{concentration} in the {department} at the {university}. Dr. XXXX’s research {here I put in details about the main professor's research that interest me and questions I would like to build off that research with} Additionally,I believe there is a fit between my interests and Dr. YYYY’s work in {brief keywords}.

At schools where I would be interested in more than one professor as a potential advisor, I go into detail and pose specific questions building of each of their work. At schools where I see connections multiple connections with professors that I'm not necessarily interested in as my main advisor I put them into the brief mention category. The brief keywords should be enough for those professors to see why I think there is a link between our research interests - I also think its kind of 'cheap' but I don't have room to go on and on about everyone's work and I want my main choice to stand out anyway.

I also start my SOP with:

I am interested in working with: Dr. XXXX, Dr. YYYY

which includes both the professors I go on about and the brief mentions. Stanford requests this and I decided to leave it for the rest of the schools. My thought there is all of those professors are likely to take a look at the essay if their name is prominent.

What about font? Is 11 acceptable? or MUST it be 12? The website doesnt specify. It just says two pages double spaced. Obviously, I am not going to send something with 10 font.

I would try your hardest to reduce your length to the 2 pages then if you feel you absolutely can't eliminate anything else, either go down to 11 or make the margins a little slimmer. I also used the header space to label my statement and the footer to hold references and contact information (so its easily available should my POIs have any questions about me after reading my statement). I would also suggest printing the statement out after doing any space adding modifications to make sure it looks reasonable. Also, Times New Roman is a much thinner than the standard Word font and there are likely to be other fonts that look professional and even thinner. If your font is not a 'standard' font definitely make your document a pdf before sending it in. Good luck! I thankfully don't have any space/word limits that small.