Plant Biology applicants - Fall 2011

eklavya

Hey all,

By this time of the year, most of us are done with our applications. Or, almost there. I am hoping that we can share our profiles, hurdles and experiences along the application/admission process, and everything that follows. This would be very helpful for us, and folks who will be applying in the near future. This thread is specific for those who are planning on working with plants (eco/evo, molecuar genetics/genomics, agronomy, bioinformatics & all other plant sciences). Wildlife people can crash in too!!

Lets keep the format somewhat as follows:

GPA

GRE

TOEFL (if applicable)

country (if USA, tier/rank of your school)

research/publications

schools applying to

application/admission progress

& anything else you want to mention

GO!!

I'm glad that there are other plant lovers out there!! :) I'm actually already in grad school (second year). I'm at Purdue University now. I graduated with a B.S. in Biology from a small university in Northwest Pennsylvania. I was a nerd and graduated with a 4.0, but my GRE score was super low (1100 or something like that...and that was after taking it a second time...I guess my brain doesn't like standardized tests because I did really well on the essay part). The graduate school application process was horrible, partially because I was working on a full-blown research project while applying. I applied to 5 schools. I wrote 1 manuscript during my senior year at undergrad, which was accepted by the journal after I had started grad school. Now I'm part of an ecology lab. My dissertation research focuses on climate change and the spring ephemeral community - pretty fun stuff :)

Where did you apply and what is your research area?

i've applied to plant breeding (aka crop sciences) programs in ncstate, wisc (madison), uiuc, minnesota, and few more. they won't be sending out interview offers till mid jan (i think). so there's a long wait, and am getting nervous day per day.

I'm glad that there are other plant lovers out there!! :) I'm actually already in grad school (second year). I'm at Purdue University now... Now I'm part of an ecology lab. My dissertation research focuses on climate change and the spring ephemeral community - pretty fun stuff :)

cool. i know few people in purdue who graduated from my current lab. in fact, they all worked for the same prof whom i am currently working with. from what they say, they are waayyy impressed by the community around that university. i was thinking of applying to eco/evo when i started my school search this summer, but the idea of 'saving the world' obliged me to go for crop science :D

i've applied to plant breeding (aka crop sciences) programs in ncstate, wisc (madison), uiuc, minnesota, and few more. they won't be sending out interview offers till mid jan (i think). so there's a long wait, and am getting nervous day per day.

cool. i know few people in purdue who graduated from my current lab. in fact, they all worked for the same prof whom i am currently working with. from what they say, they are waayyy impressed by the community around that university. i was thinking of applying to eco/evo when i started my school search this summer, but the idea of 'saving the world' obliged me to go for crop science :D

Purdue has an excellent ag program!! :)

• 1 month later...

GPA: 3.79

GRE: V580(82%) Q800(94%) AWA 3.0(10%)

sGRE biology: 880, 97% below

TOEFL: 98/ R27 L24 S22 W25

research/publications: No publication. Doing research work for more than 1 year.

schools applying to: UC Berkeley Plant biology, UC Davis PBGG, Duke Biology, WSBS, Stanford Biology, Yale E&EB, Cornell Plant biology, Rokefeller, Penn state Plant biology, UMass Plant biology(MS), Washington state Plant biology(MS)

application/admission progress: Until now, I have receive 3 interviews, UC Davis(On-site), Duke(On-site) and Penn state(phone interview).

Reject: WSBS

I am glad to see plant lovers here! : ) Hope everyone could receive good news.

And I am also looking forward to study in the state: D

• 4 weeks later...

NCState there are limiting fund in crop science, while there are enough fund in plant biology program. So some professor in crop science will admit and offer a RA postion for some students from plant biology program. You can check this kind of professor who interdisciplined in both. Goog luck.