Catastrophic GRE scores

softlan

Hi guys,

Just got my results from the paper-based GRE test...:(

Q: 740 (!)

V: 450

AW: 3.0 (!!)

Generally I'm good in mathematics (A in all my college level courses) and have at least an average writing proficiency. I don't know what happened but it's too late to retake the GRE before admissions deadline.

I'm applying to MIT, Caltech and UCB mech. eng. Is it pointless to finish my applications?

I'm foreign and scored 8.0 on my IELTS test (out of 9) but will these scores destroy my chances?

If you have extremely strong references, statement of purpose, publications, and research experience, you may have a chance. First, the 3.0-AWA probably doesn't matter if your statement of purpose and writing sample are excellent.

But to be really honest, I'm sorry to say that, from everything I've read, a 740-Q for an engineer is too low, at least for those very prestigious universities you mention, and the 450-V is also questionable, but possibly OK.

You could consider a top-30 or top-50 university this season.

Good luck,

John

Q: 740 (!)

V: 450

AW: 3.0 (!!)

I'm applying to MIT, Caltech and UCB mech. eng. Is it pointless to finish my applications?

I'm foreign and scored 8.0 on my IELTS test (out of 9) but will these scores destroy my chances?

damn!! you missed the 1200 barrier by friggin 10 points! and being an engineering student, the math score is somewhat low, but don't worry about verbal section. i think you have decent shots to these schools if your other application credentials are strong. GRE is merely a filter, a lowly one. if you want, you can explain why you got low GRE scores in your SoP, but i don't think this is an essential thing to do. for science people like us, research experience, SoP and LoRs carry more weight in the admission process than anything else.

maybe, also apply to backup schools, if you are that worried?

Thanks for the great (and honest) replies!

I'm guaranteed intake at Norways top Science University because of my grades so it's not an emergency but it would definitely be better for my research interests and experience to do graduate study at either one of the schools I'm applying to in the US. My SoP should be quite strong and I think I have solid LoRs. The only obvious weakness I have at this point (beside my GRE scores :( ) is the fact that I lack any major research experience. In my B.Sc. the last semester consists almost entirely of research work (a minimum of 400 hours, probably around 550-600 hours) so at the time I have very little or none official experience. Of course I mention this and say what my paper will be on in my SoP. Will this represent a huge drawback for me in the application process?

Unrelated to the previous paragraph:

In Norway every student gets a loan from the State Educational Loan Fund so I'm guaranteed money to pay for my tuition etc and will not depend on RA or TA positions. Is this something that the admissions committee will see as a big plus?

Thanks for the great (and honest) replies!

I'm guaranteed intake at Norways top Science University because of my grades so it's not an emergency but it would definitely be better for my research interests and experience to do graduate study at either one of the schools I'm applying to in the US. My SoP should be quite strong and I think I have solid LoRs. The only obvious weakness I have at this point (beside my GRE scores :( ) is the fact that I lack any major research experience. In my B.Sc. the last semester consists almost entirely of research work (a minimum of 400 hours, probably around 550-600 hours) so at the time I have very little or none official experience. Of course I mention this and say what my paper will be on in my SoP. Will this represent a huge drawback for me in the application process?

Unrelated to the previous paragraph:

In Norway every student gets a loan from the State Educational Loan Fund so I'm guaranteed money to pay for my tuition etc and will not depend on RA or TA positions. Is this something that the admissions committee will see as a big plus?

I'm not a hard science person and can't comment on your first question.

Your second question, however, is really paradoxical, at least in the humanities; and I assume also for the sciences: Having money guaranteed to you from Norway would probably help your application at lower-ranked US universities, but my guess is that at the top-ranked universities to which you're applying, there is enough money available to fund the (limited) number of people they'll accept.